I am interested in buying a mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ppcfanforever1, Mar 17, 2013.

1. ppcfanforever1 macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I am looking into a less than $500 mbp. I saw on ebay that you can get the last non-unibody model for this price. For a 2.5/2.6 ghz is it worth it or should I pass. I would use it for gaming and for video/photo editing.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

3. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I don't want to rain on your parade, but an '07 aluminum (non-unibody) MacBook Pro won't be able to do serious gaming and likely not video/photo editing.

You'll have trouble finding a Windows machine for that price that can do the things you want it to (assuming gaming and video/photo editing are your top priority and you're a serious power user at them).

4. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Well Im actually selling my pc right now it has about the same specs its the speed I need its just I want a mac again. I was aiming for the 2008 not the 2007 model though because of the the 512mb vram video card.

----------

I cant find any, I can only find them for around $800 and it will take me a month for me to be able to get a $500 one.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Look into a Mac Mini. You can snag an official brand-new one from Apple directly for $599 (only $99 above your budget).

According to benchmarks, a recent Mac Mini is much more powerful than a MacBook Pro from '07 or '08.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

6. firewater macrumors regular

7. makaveli559m macrumors 6502

The MacMini comes with an Intel video card add a bit more to your budget, I suggest late 2008 and up for MBP.

8. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Unfortanatly I wont be able to get that extra $99 I am a child and not a spoiled one either. I can not go above $500 and I needed the portability because I do alot of moving around the house and county. I have to be able to move it between my living room, bedroom, and living room throughout the day. So back to the OP would It be worth the money or not?

9. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Probably not. I don't believe they can even run the latest OS X.

Looking at priorities then, there are much more economically efficient ways to spend that $500 to help you out then a Mac. A Windows laptop is your best bet for your intended usage.

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

No

11. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

As of now there is only 2006 models for that price. Good suggestion though.

----------

Ok thank you. Could you explain why though? Or how a mac mini would do it better portability wise?

----------

I heard it could do ml without hacks I may have heard wrong though, besides I dont like lion and up so I would be on Snow Leopard. And sorry for sounding kinda mean I reread and didnt mean it that way.

12. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

If your budget is $500, just buy a Windows machine. You'll get way better hardware.

13. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I have one atm and I do not enjoy it at all I was originally a full mac user.

14. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

Windows 8 is really good, even faster than OS X 10.8. Why don't you enjoy it?

15. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Before this turns into a Windows vs. Mac war, the OP claims he doesn't like Windows and prefers Mac.

That being said, he obviously prefers Mac. There's no need to ask as to *why* he doesn't prefer Windows, as we can both see where that's going to end up.

I do agree though, that in his case, he'll get more bang for his buck with a Windows machine.

16. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

Thank you and windows 8 is a completly different topic I do not want to get on. But yes I prefer a mac and Im not sure which mac laptop to get if its not worth it. I choose this because from experience It has the capability to do what I need and I dont think the macbooks are even comparable to it.

17. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

If all of the people recommending windows would kindly shut the hell up I would like to say something actually helpful, As I am a very good friend of the op I can specify his needs more as editing 480p video for his youtube channel in imovie. And doing very light photoshop on the go. His definition of "gaming" is playing Minecraft and Team fortress 2. So a macbook pro would work great for his needs

and as for you xshane, 你在說什麼回合威利斯

There Jeff, I think I made my point

18. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I mean look at this yeah It does not have a power cord but thats not too costly. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...60617606?pt=Apple_Laptops&hash=item5aef3a1486

----------

Don't forget heavily modified fallout 3 and crysis 2. And possibly 720p videos.

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Unfortunately, with a budget of $500 you're going to have to make sacrifices. You won't be able to get everything you want.

A Mac Mini is still your best bet (Mac-wise). The Intel integrated GPU isn't all that bad, and it should be able to handle Minecraft and light video/photo editing. It doesn't sound like you're a serious professional power user anyhow.

20. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I have a powerbook g4 titanium doing this stuff atm for christs sake Im pretty sure an intel laptop could have some sort of comparision to it. Why does everyone hate the non unibodies so much though I cant really see why.

21. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

A Mac Mini is basically an Intel "laptop" without a screen, keyboard, and trackpad/mouse.

No one here is "hating" on the non-unibodies. It's just that realistically speaking, it's going to be a) tough to find one within your price range and b) it probably won't handle things as well as you expect them too

22. ppcfanforever1 thread starter macrumors regular

ppcfanforever1

I see what you mean with the mini though with how it is kind of portable compared to other macs but still not portable enough. And I have found them on ebay within my price range.