Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
UPDATE: DO NOT TAKE THE FIRST PICTURE AS GRANTED. I saw this hands-on pic on another forum (macx), and feels very disappointed by the decision made by Apple. That's the reason why I created this account to make a post. Original post:
https://www.macx.cn/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2216365&extra=page=1&ordertype=2&threads=thread

What's more, I just noticed that this year’s xs and xs max have asymmetrical openings for mic and speaker on the bottom (3 left 6 right for xs and 4 left 7 right for xs max). The dimension picture they used in the Apple Store app does not reflect this change, both of them shows last years’ x (an enlarged version for the max). They have the correct picture on Apple's website.

Some people might not care about this kind of detail, but that is something I appreciate that is buried in Apple's gene. The details are also what makes me an Apple fan and paying the high prices for their products since I agree with them on something I also like. When this kind of attention is gone, there is something wrong with apple.

I am being totally honest and wholehearted, well, despite I am a new member of Mac Rumor. Do not judge a person solely by how long they have been on a forum, I was a rather successful video content creator that has inspired many people.

355171537159008_.pic.jpg
The charging port of XR not centered vertically... With this, I lost all hope for apple
(Do not trust the illustration on Apple's website, they can be wrong as Xs, Xs Max and Xr's are all partially wrong in Apple Store app. I am waiting for a video hands-on.)

355281537159548_.pic.jpg
And hey, the dimension picture on XR's page is XS's. You can see from the position of the sim card tray as well as the size of the bezel. XR's sim card is located a lot lower.

It seems that Apple doesn't care anymore.

Last edited:

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
It’s a generic image for the “X” generation phones. The Max has the same graphic for its dimensions as well that hides the awful asymmetrical bottom.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looks central to me. These things aren’t made by eye and are fully drawn in CAD format throughout a very stringent analysis and development/approval process. I know Apple have made errors in terms of finishes etc, but I very much doubt a lightning port being off centre would be missed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Some of These threads are absolutely incredible the amount of scrutiny that someone will find about the iPhone and in this case, about a possible uncentered lightning Port? I doubt this is a concern for the majority of consumers, or Apple.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
That's it, I am shorting AAPL stock. They are SO doomed now. A recessed connector port you never ever look at, skewed 0.01mm to one side? Ridiculous and without historical comparison! The horror! Cook, Eddy and Ivy will be prosecuted for this! Where do I sign up for the class action lawsuit???

BAZ1307

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I highly doubt it’s been overlooked by Apple. The phone will have spent the last year pretty much under a microscope before it got to this stage.

It’s unlike Apple in that it’s not perfect, but I believe this is the only way they could’ve done it. They’ve took the iPhone X’s body shape and tried to stick an age old LCD screen into it. Maybe this meant that the charging port had to stay put, however the case had to be thicker to accommodate the thicker internals? Obviously the screws should always be centred, but the charging port? I don’t think it matters that much.

Besides, Apple’s phones will never be perfectly centred, or symmetrical for that matter. There’s also extremely slight inconsistencies between every iPhone model produced, so no two iPhones are ever exactly the same. Only an issue if you suffer with bad OCD. :)

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
View attachment 782569
The charging port of XR not centered... With this, I lost all hope for apple

View attachment 782571
And hey, the dimension picture on XR's page is XS's. You can see from the position of the sim card tray as well as the size of the bezel. XR's sim card is located a lot lower.

It seems that Apple doesn't care anymore.

Just keep enjoying your Android.

Reactions: decafjava

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Ridiculing the thread starter won’t make the problem go away. Apart from the aesthetical issue the Lightning plug won’t sit flush and wobble on the table. It’s not the worst, but it’s also not ideal.

Pepperfection

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2017

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
If you mean not centred as in closer to the front face (screen) or back face of the phone then loads of iOS devices are like this - more notably iPads than iPhones but I think it just depends on the curvature of the edge they are trying to put it on.

ps3zocker

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2012
They have to fold the display at the bottom to achieve this chinless look. Probably this process requires more depth than the OLED displays and there's not enough space for the lightning connector to be aligned correctly.

Reactions: Falhófnir

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
Joined today. First post. Troll much?
I saw this hands on pic on another forum(macx), and feels very disappointed in the decision made by apple. Never felt it necessary to post anything on macrumor till today. Well there you go, that explains everything.
Whats more, I just noticed that this year’s xs and xs max has asymmetrical opening for mic and speaker on the bottom. And the dimension pic they used for xsmax is not xsmax but rather an enlarged version of last years’ x(in the Apple Store app).

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 16, 2018
They have to fold the display at the bottom to achieve this chinless look. Probably this process requires more depth than the OLED displays and there's not enough space for the lightning connector to be aligned correctly.
Hope that's the cause. Some android phone does not have the charging port aligned since they soldered the port to the main logic board directly to save money(my guess). Apple uses the lighting port because it's small (so it won't be affected by the folded components), and this has never happened to any iPhone ever before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.