I am looking to rip DVD's to my computer but I cant find the right program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tysontabs, Sep 3, 2008.

1. tysontabs macrumors member

Hi, I have around 80 DVD discs and they are taking up a whole bunch of room in my closet, I would like to rip the contense of my discs so that I may play them with DVD player and keep all the features that make a DVD worth viewing such as menus, special features, and chapters.

I have tried Handbrake but it dose not seem to do the job.
    P.S. I do not intend to make copies and sell these discs to anyone
    Any Ideas?

Tabs:confused:

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If you want full-quality, menus, etc. you have to go with MactheRipper or maybe Fairmount. Keep in mind, each of the movies will take up to 8GB of space doing this.

You could use a program like DVD2OneX to compress these down to 4GB or so, but it's still going to add up quite a bit.

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

+1 for mac the ripper - simple, quick. Easy solution

use MTR then Handbreak to turn them into 700MB movies that are much more convenient to store

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

lol

you really should read posts before you reply to them!

Handbreak won't rip DVDs because of 'legal issues'

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

MacTheRipper is great. But as stated earlier, keep in mind most of them will rip down to 8g each (to maintain ALL features) so your looking at ~640g just for the total disks you mentioned.

IMO if I want the 'menu features' I'll pop the DVD in, most of the time I just want the movie, so Handbrake does it for me. 8g down to ~1g and I can tote them around on my iPod, play them from the iPod to the TV. Best part is the kids don't scratch up the movies while changing discs.

All our cartoons are boxed up and put in storage. All that remains are the ripped versions.

And you should really get a clue. As stated I use it a lot and so far all our disney, dreamworks, and other movies are ripped on Handbrake.

Maybe not a "FULL" as in menus etc, but you can extract the entire dvd including all segments etc if needed, then again, I've never ever had a need to extract the dvd as it is, I just need the movie.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Not in Windows. It does it in OS X.

7. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It doesn't rip DVDs to full-featured Video_TS files (not that I've been able to figure anyway). It converts them to another format. Not the same thing.

8. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

And since this is the "Mac Applications" forum, OS X is the defacto assumed operating system.

9. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

my apologies - did that change recently? last time i tried to do it in os x it said no.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Uncalled for. Please calm down.

11. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Hey, I am calm, in fact I laughed at your post. YOU really need to not be the pot calling the kettle black with your post I responded to.

Try taking your OWN advice.

12. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

you're not unlokia by another name are you?

Just relax.

13. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

but i posted that comment before you even entered the thread :confused: I can't anticipate what you're going to write can i? :D

14. tysontabs thread starter macrumors member

Mac The Ripper Dose not exist

I can't download the "Mac The Ripper" app, when I go to their web site, the reply i get when I click on download is "This ID dose not exist".

Tabs

15. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001