Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLoveMacPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
I just got my new macbook pro 13 mid 2009. I have quite a few question and i need some answer.

Today i take my macbook pro 13 to the apple shop where i buy it. After the guy take a look it. He start the macbook pro and on starting up. He press some combination which i dont know. I think is command plus P or more. And the screen appear white then black then white then black a few times. I am not sure what happen. It look like the macbook pro restart but i am not so sure. I did some research and it look like he did this Reset NVRAM but i am not so sure. Can some1 tell me what did he do???? Will something happen to my macbook pro later on???? I just got my macbook pro so i dont want anything happen to it.

The guy at the apple shop said that it is normal for macbook pro 13 to get hot. If it is in the range between 60 to 70 it is ok. He also said if it go abit of 80 still ok (assume i am watching a movie). I am not sure so i get worried if this is true or not???? He also said i should not use smcFancontrol as it may damage it.

Is it recommended that i keep my battery charge all the time or what???? What is the best way to keep my battery healthy?

Please someone help me...

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
1. The Genius reset the PRAM. It is done by holding down COMMAND, OPTION, P AND R at startup. It resets several system/hardware settings and can fix some issues. Nothing will happen to your MacBook Pro as a result of this.

2. Obviously people at the Genius Bar will tell you not to use smcFanControl as they want you to use what comes with the Mac (and it handles fan speed in the OS itself). Nothing will be damaged by using smcFanControl. I am guessing that the temperatures you gave are in Celsius. In that case, those are fine numbers. You need to get worried when it runs around 85 Celsius constantly.

3. Follow this Apple Support document on Mac battery conditioning: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Other thank conditioning my battery, I've had my last few MB's constantly plugged in all the time.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Mine is always plugged in. I calibrate the battery every 3 weeks or so.

Also, my computer is at 126 degrees right now. Remember, it is a laptop, and there is not much room in there for cooling...

also, a great app to download is istat.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
There are two ways to get rid of heat in any electronic device. Let the skin of the device get hot. The amount of heat dumped is greater if the device is hotter. Basically this method uses the skin as a heat sink. The other way is to suck air inside, heat that air then exhaust it out a vent.

Users hate both methods. They don't like hot notebooks but they also hate the noise a fan makes. Apple tries to balance this but prefers hot notebooks to noisy fans.

The fan control program lets to decide on the balance. You can run up the fan RPM and make noise and then the notebook skin will not need to be so hot.

But the guy was right you can damage the notebook by setting the FAN to low the over heating the computer

zoziw

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2006
Canada
My MBP is almost always plugged in. Once a month or so I unplug it and let it run down.

I have no idea if that is supposed to work but it kept my iBook battery in decent shape for 4 years.

iLoveMacPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
Thank you all of you for reply.

So i have install smcFanControl app, even if i dont use it at all and set it as default. will it still damage the fan??? What are the normal lowest or highest temp (Celsius) when you watch movie or play game or others?????

I heard that if you keep the computer charging all the time is not good for the battery. Is this true? Then how can you all plugin the charge all the time and said that the battery are good.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Thank you all of you for reply.

So i have install smcFanControl app, even if i dont use it at all and set it as default. will it still damage the fan??? What are the normal lowest or highest temp (Celsius) when you watch movie or play game or others?????

I heard that if you keep the computer charging all the time is not good for the battery. Is this true? Then how can you all plugin the charge all the time and said that the battery are good.

I have asked several genius's, at several Apple Stores, and they all say the same thing: That leaving the computer plugged in all the time will not hurt the computer or battery. Just remember to calibrate the battery once a month.

TO do that, you run the battery all the way down, it will turn off by itself. LEave the computer off for at least 7-8 hours, and then plug in to recharge completely. You can use the computer while charging.

iLoveMacPro

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2009
is it possible that when i use my mac then i plug in and when i shut down my mac then plug out the charge??? if i do like this, the battery stil ok?????

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm... not really sure what you just said, but you can plug and unplug the power cable whenever you want. If the battery is empty when you unplug, the computer will go to sleep. The battery will charge anytime: while the computer is turned off, while it is asleep, or while it is running. Charging takes a bit longer while the computer is running as some of the power is required to run the computer and less ends up going into the battery, but 100% charge is 100% charge no matter how you got there, and your battery doesn't mind how you do it.

Obviously, the battery isn't used while the computer is off, and will last for several days if you leave it asleep and unplugged.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.