Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
The last three all keep waking up from sleep mode with a Wake reason of OHC2. Apparently this has something to do with the USB bus. Only problem is I never have my USB devices (external hard drive and mouse) plugged in when it happens. It's happened most of the time when I have it in my backpack. When I open my backpack to take it out it is as hot as a lump of coal with the fans going full blast. Open the screen and its black. I have to do a hard shut down. Reformatting and reinstalling the OS does not fix it. Resetting the SMC and PRAM does not fix it.

Apple engineering is apparently aware of the issue so I have faith they will get this corrected soon. They have stated not all machines are affected.

Let's hope this one is the one I get to keep for good.

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
Oh, wow!! That sounds EXACTLY like the problem I have with my first gen Core Duo Macbook!

It's so bad, that I'm afraid to even put it to sleep throughout the day, because I'm afraid the battery will be dead by the time I use it again. I usually shut it down after each class, which is a pain.

Too bad I'm out of warranty...

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Oh, wow!! That sounds EXACTLY like the problem I have with my first gen Core Duo Macbook!

It's so bad, that I'm afraid to even put it to sleep throughout the day, because I'm afraid the battery will be dead by the time I use it again. I usually shut it down after each class, which is a pain.

Too bad I'm out of warranty...

They never developed a solution for your issue???

That's not good. :eek:

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Same exact problem with the fourth MacBook Pro. I got to the coffee shop, took it out of my backpack, and it was turned on. Opened it up and had the black screen. Had to do a hard shut down.

This is so frustrating.

I am going to reformat and reinstall the OS. I will not install ANYTHING (updates and/or 3rd party software) for a day or so to see if the sleep issue is still occuring. If it does not, I will have to begin installing everything one at a time. This could possibly take weeks to figure out what might be causing the issue...

I'm still thinking the OHC2 Wake reason is going to explain the story. If it does pertain to the USB bus then it would seem like a driver problem or even a hardware problem. I'm not a guru by any means but I do have a general understanding as to how computers work.

Vanarak19

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
i hate to say it but someone has to.

just turn the damn thing off, until they fix it.

sad, but true.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
My 2nd gen Macbook Pro had this problem. I remember a few times, going down to the cafeteria to grab a fast dinner before going to the library to cram, and I'd open my laptop up at dinner and it was in exactly the same condition. Eventually Apple released 10.4.10, but then my mac started freezing solid! Leopard fixed everything :rolleyes:

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
i hate to say it but someone has to.

just turn the damn thing off, until they fix it.

sad, but true.

That's what the Level-1 Apple tech told me. I told him to quit being a douchebag.

Seriously. These notebooks are not functioning as designed. Plain and simple.

On a lighter note, Apple is sending me a free iPod for all of my troubles. This proves they still want to try and take care of their customers.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Do you happen to have anything in the ExpressCard slot?

That was an issue I had with my original MacBook Pro. I had an ExpressCard memory card reader in, and it would wake up randomly from sleep. It turns out it was the ExpressCard; which connects via the USB bus.

It was fixed with a firmware update a few months after release.

Also, in my new office, there is something that apparently puts out IR at just the right pattern to convince my MBP that it's an Apple Remote trying to wake it up. If I block the IR port, it stays asleep.

So, the test is to unplug *EVERYTHING*, and disable all forms of 'wake from sleep'. Ethernet, USB, Bluetooth, IR; all of it. Then see if the problem goes away. If it does, turn things back on one at a time; then plug things in one at a time, to see what causes it.

rychencop

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2007
Georgia
i told all of you not to buy the new mbp as soon as it came out. let them iron out the bugs i said, but noooo. you had to go buy one...now look at you. :rolleyes:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
i told all of you not to buy the new mbp as soon as it came out. let them iron out the bugs i said, but noooo. you had to go buy one...now look at you. :rolleyes:

Well my Mac Book Pro 2.4 I brought last year in November was a very old and mature design. Yet so far I've had to take it to Apple to have the screen hooks fixed as they broke AND I had to have the entire left I/O board replaced as it was faulty and failing to charge the battery correctly. Both were known faults by Apple and yet they chose to just leave them and fix em when they get em. So I would NOT count on Apple ironing any flaws or bugs, you'll just have to get them fixed as they crop up.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL
Have you taken a stock machine and tried your routine? This sounds like an app or piece of hardware is causing a problem. Do you unplug all accessories and remove any expresscard devices before closing the lid? Any third party apps running in the background? Is there anyway the lid can move while in the case? If it can get bumped and opened just a small amount it can turn on the machine. I take my new MBP back and forth to work everyday and I haven't had it wake on me yet. No saying it can't happen obviously, but 4 machines in a row. That's terrible low odds of happening.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Same exact problem with the fourth MacBook Pro. I got to the coffee shop, took it out of my backpack, and it was turned on. Opened it up and had the black screen. Had to do a hard shut down.

This is so frustrating.

I am going to reformat and reinstall the OS. I will not install ANYTHING (updates and/or 3rd party software) for a day or so to see if the sleep issue is still occuring. If it does not, I will have to begin installing everything one at a time. This could possibly take weeks to figure out what might be causing the issue...

I'm still thinking the OHC2 Wake reason is going to explain the story. If it does pertain to the USB bus then it would seem like a driver problem or even a hardware problem. I'm not a guru by any means but I do have a general understanding as to how computers work.

So did you try reinstalling? From your description it really seems certain your problem is some app keeping the machine awake or crashing in sleep.

FYI, I have seen this on various machines in the past. But I have not seen this in the past two weeks on a new MBP.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Look at the troll everybody!

Now .. if everybody listens to you and nobody buys a console, then no bugs will be ironed out and you will end up waiting and getting the same console with the bugs. Yet you're complaining the world doesn't listen to you.

Sorry .. added to ignore list.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
So did you try reinstalling? From your description it really seems certain your problem is some app keeping the machine awake or crashing in sleep.

FYI, I have seen this on various machines in the past. But I have not seen this in the past two weeks on a new MBP.

Yes, I reformatted/reinstall OSX earlier this morning. I have been putting the computer to sleep several times before I make any changes to the operating system throughout today. I am trying so hard to pinpoint the issue. So far it has not happened. The only things I have done so far is install iPhoto and iMovie from the applications DVD that came with my Mac. I also installed all of the newest updates from Software Updates.

Just for the record, a couple of times when the issue arose, I had closed all open apps prior to putting the notebook to sleep. I always disconnect any devices that are attached before shutting the lid. I even went as far as to turn off the Airport and Bluetooth cards. Still didn't make any difference.

The only device I have connected to my Mac so far today is my external hard drive. I copied over my iTunes folder and my iPhoto folder. I then ejected the external hard drive, shut the lid, and drove over to the coffee shop. The notebook was still sleeping. So far so good. I will just have to take this one step at a time.

Also, Apple engineering is currently engaged in this. They are receiving more and more reports about this very issue. There is a 6 page thread on the Apple discussion boards about it. I am very involved and have been trying to gather feedback from other people to see if we can try and figure out exactly what is causing our notebooks to wake up from sleep.

More to come...

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
Have you taken a stock machine and tried your routine? This sounds like an app or piece of hardware is causing a problem. Do you unplug all accessories and remove any expresscard devices before closing the lid? Any third party apps running in the background? Is there anyway the lid can move while in the case? If it can get bumped and opened just a small amount it can turn on the machine. I take my new MBP back and forth to work everyday and I haven't had it wake on me yet. No saying it can't happen obviously, but 4 machines in a row. That's terrible low odds of happening.

I always unplug any accessories I might have plugged in prior to closing the lid. I have made sure to close all apps running in the background also.

The new magnetic lid keeps the notebook shut nice and tight. I have no reason to believe the lid is opening while in my backpack. There's just no way. It is also not possible because the Wake reason would show a code of EC and not OHC2. EC means the system woke up because the lid was opened.

AquaMethod

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
It's a longshot, but you could try changing the sleep mode to sleep instead of hibernate...

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 12, 2005
It's a longshot, but you could try changing the sleep mode to sleep instead of hibernate...

Code:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

I think you meant to say change the hibernate mode to sleep instead of hibernate, right?

Thanks for the tip. I might try that if it occurs after I completed all of my troubleshooting.

uscmatt

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
I used to have a problem like this (early '08 MBP) and it was all related to unplugging usb devices after sleep mode was initiated. If I had a printer hooked up through usb and put the laptop to sleep, closed the lid, then unplugged the printer, after about 5 or 6 seconds the apple light would come on and it would awake from sleep with the lid closed. The first time it happened I ended up driving home with it awake in the laptop bag, and it came out very hot.

Now I make sure everything is unplugged before I put it to sleep. All problems solved.

shadie

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2004
GMT+8
I'm having the same problem with my 2.53 2008 model.

I also cannot pin down what is causing this, I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 and the logs do not show anything unusual.

Around 70% of sleep/wake cycles result in dark screen, hibernate is the same, sometimes I need to press the power button other times the computer restarts when I press the space bar after coming out of sleep mode.

I'm shutting down now as I've lost too much work either by putting the computer to sleep or hibernating. This issue is reported on numerous sites from users with and without bootcamp installed so it does look like a serious fault.

I have also had a few freezes where the screen and cursor are active but the keyboard, trackpad or external USB/Bluetooth mouse have no response.

I've tried a clean install and have the same issue, I've tried different Wifi profiles in different locations with and without encryption, with and without bluetooth enabled.

Some users have reported that using third party drivers solved the issue, if this is true for Vista, what about OS X?

Should I return/exchange this?

ahknight

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2008
I have this issue as well. When I looked at the logs it looks like I have an OHCI notice that something is waking up the system. I looked at the USB bus ID that it was talking about and Apple System Profiler says that's the keyboard and IR receiver bus. So, I turned off the IR receiver. Let's see if that's it.

Alternatively, I see key prints on the screen when I open the unit, so it's possible that squeezing it is waking the system up by pressing a key. That would suck...

We'll see.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I have used primarily PC's until now. I had a Powerbook but it was never used for a primary role.

Anyways, I'm surprised to read everyone talking about sleep mode with a straight face. I've NEVER used any kind of computer that had a sleep mode that always worked properly.

firesong

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Having used this laptop daily for the past 2 weeks, I have not shut it down nor encountered any of the mentioned wake-from-sleep problems.

Just remember to disconnect your peripherals before you shut the lid, not after.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.