I am really, really mad right now... iPhone freezing.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kingsly, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

So last night my utterly perfect iPhone decided to give me a hard time, and began freezing to the point of being totally unusable. The only way out of a freeze was a hard reset.

I called AppleCare and together we determined that it was a hardware issue. I asked if I could take it in to the Apple Store, which is a bit of a drive for me, and get it replaced. He said yes and that it would be in his notes that the issue had been diagnosed and no further testing by the genius bar was required. I go to the bar and they ask me to replicate the issue. I told them that I didn't have to and that it was all in the notes. They read them and I was telling the truth, but they still had to see the issue before they could help me.

I made it very clear to AppleCare that I had neither the time or necessarily the guarantee that it could be replicated and they assured me that the phone would simply be fixed.

Sure enough the store's Reality Distortion Field fixed my phone and we spent over an hour trying to get it to freeze. It didn't, which was fine to me as my precious seemed to be repaired! I happily went home.

I must've been out of the RDF's range because about halfway home my phone froze, and is now back to it's old ways!!!

I cannot be without my phone this week. I have a movie in preproduction and a TV show to propose, and I need my phone to stay in constant contact with my producers (it froze in the middle of a call to one of them just a few minutes ago :mad: ). Someone at AppleCare is going to get a very angry call tomorrow morning... :(

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Ask for a loaner until your phone gets repaired - or bring it up with at&T. They should at least give you a temp phone until apple's is fixed.

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

You sound rich enough just to go out and buy another phone...

Do what us poor folk did, keep you old phone handy in case something happens to the new one... (just put the SIM card in it).

4. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Find your old phone.

Put that sim in it.

Relax.

5. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

That's just the trick... I am hoping the movie and TV show will make me some money. :eek:

Lost the charger. :(

EDIT: Gah!!! It just froze again!

6. ermaher macrumors newbie

Iphone freeze

Did you update to the latest software version; 1.1.1?
    I had the same problem until I updated. I've had several more problems that had me pulling my hair, but I'm not making a movie, nor do I have to answer to money sources, but you are right, the phone should work. Suggestion; when I had other problems early in the purchase I signed up for the Genius bar, when to the Ontario store, they replaced immediately. Didn't want to spend any time with me, they had too many other customers.

7. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

what exactly are you doing when the freeze happens?

8. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Latest version, and I've performed a restore twice within the last 24 hours. It froze more than five times since my last post. :(

Anything. Mostly freezes at the unlock screen, but it happens at the home screen, when making or receiving a call, really anytime...

9. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

yeah definitely doesn't sound right.

If it were my phone, I'd take it in for repairs and let them have at it.

10. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Kingsly

It froze again. I let it be to see what would happen... it just stayed frozen until the battery died. :(

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Maybe next time it freezes you should dart to your Apple Store and show them.....then again the RDF might miraculously heal it once you're there

12. Geffen macrumors 6502

What is the status on your iPhone?

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I know its obvious but have you reset the phone recently?

14. jaydee8710 macrumors newbie

Iphone FREEZING

Can someone PLEASE HELP!! i recently received a unlocked iphone and everything was working fine. I downloaded a couple of ringtones, nes games, and 2 applications. The phone already had applications on it when i received it and like stated before it was WORKING Fine. Last NITE it was perfect with all the new applications and then in the morning when i put my phone on the charging doc the phone FREEZES!!!! The phone freezes ONLY when i try to charge my phone, when not connected to USB it works fine. My phone is gonna die soon and I NEED EXTREME HELP...Please lord someone send me A IPHONE GENIE!!!

15. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

Hmm, my friend had the exact same problem happening with his iPhone. His first trip to Apple they would not replace it, but a week later he made an appointment and went back and had his phone replaced. He could not get his phone to freeze for the genius either time, but I guess they figured if he was willing to show up twice, it must have been a real problem. Good luck getting things resolved.

16. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

What bugs me the most about this issue and the Apple method of diagnosing iPhone's in general is the diagnosing itself.

They have no better method of checking for hardware issues in store other than some guy/gal poking around and toying with the phone.

So the result of this diagnosis method is that one Apple employee may see a problem and another may not. Sure they have training and a diagnosing book to refer to but the whole process is effected by human interpretation.

When I go to get my engine checked in my car the mechanic doesn't say, "you need new drive belts because I hear squeaking, and you need a new fuel filter because I can feel the engine stutter when I step on the gas pedal."

Rather they actually have a computer to properly diagnosis engine problems, and tools to measure the belts etc.

I guess my point is where's the Hardware diagnosis CD for iPhone at the store? if one even exists, if not then why not?

I'm ranting because I had an issue too where my BT headset wouldn't pair consistently and I took it to the Apple store where I was told there are NO problems, then I spoke to someone else at the same store a few days later and he said I need a new phone.

17. decadentdave macrumors 6502

HAHAHA! I love seeing spoiled rich kids get torqued with technology. This guy sounds like that producer in True Romance. :p

18. ctcherie macrumors newbie

I just got my iPhone a few weeks ago and this kept happening to me too. When i went to my local apple shop one of the assistants looked at it and said that its probably because of one of the applications that i have loaded onto my phone. So he told me to restore the factory settings (when you attach your iPhone to the computer it comes up as an option on devices), which i did, and i haven't had a freezing problem since. Maybe you just need to do that.

19. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Two years later, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter anymore....
    Props on using the search button, though!

20. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

First of all, thanks for searching. You should get some kind of award being a newbie that searched ... That never happens around here.

On that note, considering this thread is over two years old ... I'm sure they figured it out, haha.

For you, what OS were you running when you were having the problems? There were a lot of problems like this with 3.1

21. danieljudson macrumors newbie

Having same problems after replacing LCD screen

My iPhone 3 was working just fine, except for the fact that the LED backlight was broken, so I ordered a new LCD screen off of ebay. Right after I replaced it, everything was working fine. sound, display, internet... But when I went to plug it it, it showed the "apple" screen and wouldn't change. I had to reboot it. Now I cannot tell if it is charging because when it is plugged in, it freezes. When I unplug it, and reboot it, it takes a screen shot of whatever page i was on and saves it to my pictures. Everything works fine when it is unplugged but what can I do to fix it?