I am really torn here....Need some input.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrdroid921, Jan 14, 2013.

1. mrdroid921 macrumors newbie

Would it make sense to buy a 15.4 inch macbook pro base model with the 500GB hdd and 2.3ghz I7 at this point in time?? I have over $1800 some to spend at best buy, and I was looking at my options, and I see I could also swing the Retina pro 13in, but I was looking at the display models, and two of them had the image retention/ghosting issue. I was also considering waiting for maybe a higher end windows 8 touch screen machine, but worry about issues with the touch screen and such. I guess my problem here is, I keep wondering if spending $1800+ on that 15.4 inch macbook pro is a good deal for what it is.

Thanks for any input.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It probably depends on how long you're going to be keeping it for. The trend seems to be toward higher resolution screens, so if you want to be sure you can take advantage of software that will be becoming ever more geared toward that kind of area in the next couple of years, I'd suggest the retina 13".

Whatever you decide, at a bare minimum, don't consider the 15" without at least upgrading to the hi-res display. The 1440x900 is a giant pixel party.

I would go 13" retina in your position, with a 500gb pocket external USB 3.0 drive. Perfect machine. Unless you're editing hour-long TV pilots.

3. mrdroid921 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah there is no doubt that the 1440x900 is weak sauce for a 15.4 inch screen. What about the image retention issues on the 13 and 15 in retina models?

4. MMOTotal macrumors regular

You could always wait for WWDC to see what happens then, they could discontinue the classic MacBook Pro line and move the current retina models down to those price points or slightly higher, all depending.

5. isephmusic macrumors 6502

the new samsung series 7 ultra/chronos looks tough as hell cant wait for it , says supposed 11 hour battery life

6. mrdroid921 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was thinking about doing that, but I feel like if apple continues to use LG panels, we may always have a ghosting/IR issue. Then again, they may fix it or god wiling maybe use Sharp displays also.

Yeah that does seem like a nice machine, I wish these manufactures would give some sort of date/price.

7. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If anything is going to be happening at WWDC this year, I highly suspect it will be related to the Mac Pro. If anything happens with the MacBook Pro, it will be taking a back seat to the Mac Pro, which means I'm not expecting anything new for the rMBP except a speed bump in CPU, and maybe 802.11ac wi-fi added.

Anyway, the most common piece of advice people give, and which I agree with, is that if you have certain needs that need to be met now, and the current offerings meet those needs, there's really not much reason to wait.

The 15" i7 CPU is a big boost over what you get in the 13". Sure, the resolution could be better in the base 15", but it's easily dealt with by plugging it into an external monitor. So, the real question is, can you deal with that lower res when you don't have it plugged into an external monitor? If not, then hi-res or retina is the display that you probably want.

8. mrdroid921 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I guess I may be able to live with it, since at least you do get better customer service with apple then you do with most other PC makers. Shame I am stuck at best buy due to having gift cards.