I am so lost... jailbreak and unlock 3Gs?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by youssefm, Jun 21, 2010.

1. youssefm macrumors 6502

Okay, so I am so lost right now, because every post I read is conflicting with the other, and I want a straight forward answer. I have an iPhone 3Gs, version 3.1.3 and baseband 5.12.01. I saw that today the unlock came out, and I was wondering..

1) What jailbreak program do I use, and does it work with iTunes 9.2 or not? (can you link a guide?)
    2) Can I unlock my 3Gs after I jailbreak it using the method above
    3) If I jailbreak on a windows computer, can I still sync it on my macbook? (That is, if iTunes 9.2 isn't compatible, I have a PC with 9.1, and my mac has 9.2)

Please be patient with me lol, it's my first time ever doing this, so I am fairly new and don't wanna mess anything up. Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

U can stay on 3.1.3. And jb with spirit.
    Then install the latest ultrasnow to unlock. Or wait a little bit and then u can jb and unlock the new 4.0 firmware.

3. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh okay, and I'm leaving the country on Saturday so I don't think i'll wait for 4.0 just yet.

Anyway, so can anyone provide me with a tutorial, or link or something for the spirit jailbreak? And spirit won't work with 9.2, right? So if I jailbreak on a PC, can I return to syncing on my mac?

*EDIT: I found this http://spiritjb.com/
    And so I can use a PC to JB, is there a tutorial anywhere that can guide me through this?

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

What are you talking about here? if you plan to use spirit to jb 3.1.3 and add Ultrasn0w your fine other wise explain. if you are talking about using spirit to jb 4.0 you are doomed for failure.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9.2 iTunes might give u problems when syncing with a spirit jb iPhone.
    Try to use and install a previous version of iTunes.

6. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay okay, I found a tutorial and everything. So all my questions are answered, except for 1 thing.

Okay, my macbook pro has iTunes 9.2. Is there a way to downgrade to 9.1, or am I stuck here? I have a windows laptop with itunes 9.1, so is it possible I can sync my phone there, and jailbreak it using spirit, and then sync it back to my macbook pro with no issues?

7. jlmitnick macrumors regular

Yes. 9.2 only has a problem if you are going to jailbreak. But if you are already jailbroken, it's fine.

Just jailbreak with spirit on your 9.1 windows comp, then you'll be fine to sync and do whatever on either computer.

8. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you everyone!
    I'm glad to see people helping around here :D

*I'm done haha, it was pretty simple and straightforward

9. youssefm thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay sorry for the double post xD
    Under cydia, ultrasnow is asking me to upgrade.. i already installed it, and now under changes, it says "Available Upgrades" then ultrasnow.. should I upgrade it??

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can upgrade ultrasnow.
    About tethering the only one I heard that works is pdanet.