I am spoiled with my UBMP...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cni2i, Jun 23, 2009.

1. cni2i macrumors member

Hey everyone. I am new to macs, and I am loving it! I've been using my uMBP 17" for the past 2 weeks or so. Now, when I use a PC, it's frustrating not to be able to navigate and control everything with just the scroll pad :D

It's also nice not having to see pop ups daily telling me that I need to update my antivirus program...LOL.

Anyways, just thought I would share my joy thus far.

2. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hahaha, yes. I too hate other trackpads. My Dell Inspiron and Dell Vostro have identical trackpads with "revolutionary" scrolling areas on them and they suck! They're too small also!!!

3. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Think of it the other way - if you're ever annoyed with your Mac, for whatever reason, a few minutes with a PC (Asus laptop in my case) are a perfect cure... ;)

4. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i'm a long time pc user and think that apple's multi-touch trackpad is enough reason to buy their laptops.

5. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

This is really funny. :D im going to remember that one.

6. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Yeah, had to use my HP while my uMB was sent out. I can now say I hate everything about this HP, the keys (and their not backlit), the small trackpad (although it does have a scroll bar on the trackpad itself), the screen, the media center touch controls (and what's with this HP Quickplay? Does anyone here, who has an HP, use it?), the weight, and the other minute features, such as not being able to open the screen with one hand. While I don't hate on Vista or 7, I find I am far more productive on OS X despite having recently switched.

7. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

Yep! Every time IM at work and some windoz unexpected problem occurs, IM reminded why I Love my Macs! ;)

8. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

I know there are definitely issues with Macs too, BUT when I was a PC user, I noticed so many more complaints from PC users than mac users...hence, I made the switch. I guess cost and the familiarity with PCs were the primary reasons why I stayed with PCs for so many years. And Vista definitely threw me over the edge LOL.

9. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

The trackpad was a big deal for me too. I was never impressed by the macs until I learned how to use multi-touch, and the first time I tried it in the store, I was blown away by just how well it works.

My old IBM Thinkpad had a lot of touchpad features. YOu could dedicate the top two corners for forward/back for navigating webpages, you could scroll along the right side, and I believe there was a zoom feature.

But none of it worked as flawlessly as the macs. I don't know why.

Once I set up tap-to-click, I fell in love with the buttonless trackpad.

The only thing I don't like is when you need to drag something. They should really set it up so you can press a button to drag, instead of using your thumb to press down. Even using my left index finger to press while I dragged would be a little more convenient for me.

10. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

I have an IBM thinkpad I just gave to a young man, it was worthless to me after the joys of my new MacBook Pro, I still use my G4 Powerbook for cruising the net in the RV, but my new MBP is the greatest!:D

11. Yell0w macrumors regular

yep, i love the multi-touch capabilities on the mac. :D

12. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

I have a 15"MBP that is two generations old with the click buttons
    on the trackpad.

I will be purchasing the new 17" MBP in about a week and it will
    be my first experience using the new trackpad.

Some are recommending turning on the TAP TO CLICK function
    via the System Preferences.

If I do this, will it turn off the finger gestures functions or will
    I be able to use the TAP TO CLICK along with the standard trackpad
    capabilities?

In other words, I am hoping to have the best of both worlds.

13. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

You can enable tap to click and maintain the gestures and the click options. You do get the best of both. :D

14. ndstrenge macrumors regular

+2

I find the trackpad absolutely brilliant. It significantly multiples the user experience. I could use one the size of my hand via USB to my wife's iMac in place of a mouse and mousepad. It's just so much faster for daily use.

I find it funny that pc friends think macs are trendy. I think OSX is productive as hell over Vista. I also can't believe how many apps can be running simultaneously without error.

15. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

And I'm sure the PC folks find it funny that us mac people only comprise 10% of the computing user base. :D

Windows7 will change this though (I think). It won't be long before the Vista excuse gets old and worn out.

I'll give you this one for now. But I still have MS Office apps crashing on my mac and Firefox does this once in a blue moon as well. No fault of OSX but still annoying.

Not taking jabs at us mac folks... just keeping it in perspective lest we all get too cocky about lowly scumbag PC users. :D

16. drewster macrumors member

I find myself doing the gestures on other macs - sometimes an older (White Core Duo) Macbook - to no avail, and worse, on an imac, some how wiping four fingers across the mouse, or the desk doesn't activate expose!

17. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Why would you need tap to click when you can click down the entire trackpad?

18. cni2i thread starter macrumors member

That's what I was thinking. :confused:

19. Alexwithad macrumors 6502

I never really liked the whole trackpad being a button, it's too noisy (for when it's late and I'm being quite) and it takes more energy I think. Taps are real nice once you get used to them

20. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Gents,

I never used one of these new trackpads other than for a few
    minutes in the Apple Store a few days ago.

I don't know what the best method of setting up my new MBP
    will be, that is why I referred to all of you.

It felt kind of funky to me clicking on the trackpad. You get
    a kind of "pushing metal" feeling as you press down on the
    trackpad. Personally, I didn't care for that feeling. A simple
    tap would have been better.

However, that's just a few minutes of use and I really think
    that you guys who use these laptops daily would have the best
    advice on how best to set it up.

21. macgrl macrumors 65816

The trackpad is such a great thing to use. I miss it when I use a pc laptop

22. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You can set the trackpad so that you can merely tap it instead of clicking it - same with tapping two fingers to act as a right-click :)

23. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Welcome to the addiction :)

Glad you are enjoying your new mac! I switched a little over a year ago and I'm to the point where I downright hate PC's (even though I fix em for a living.)

24. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Why would you need any button when you can tap to click? I only wish there was a three-finger tap as well...

25. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Welcome to the world of Mac and congratulations on your new MBP. May you both live long and prosper together; in the meantime, enjoy your computer.

Cheers and good luck