I am starting to regret 8GB now...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Oct 9, 2015.

1. TekGuy macrumors member

I just downloaded and installed Chrome 46.0.2490.64 beta (was on Chrome 45 Stable). Well not impressed to be fair. My memory usage is only around 200-300MB less, not exactly that much improved as it was claimed, for me anyway. But it's beta and will stay on the Beta channel and monitor my memory usage over next few releases. Some claims of it dropping by half but not for me as of yet, obviously everyone has their browsers setup differently, addons, themes, apps etc so that will have a major impact I guess.

Google suppose to be working on the memory leaks, graphics performance so hopefully that will continue.

Source

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Yeah, pretty obvious that this Vivaldi thing is stealing the crap out of your memory. I assume you've done so already, but you probably should use something lightweight like Safari. It works just fine I believe.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

If you try Vivaldi and its features, you'd wanna stick with it as well.

4. brand macrumors 601

brand

High RAM usage is not a good feature for a browser to have. No thanks I'll stick with Safari.

5. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It's a beta. Maybe you should try it out after public release and when RAM usage has gone down.

6. leman macrumors G3

I think I'll wait until they fix that nasty RAM usage first ;) Also, I don't have any interest in software that claims that you can 'customize everything'. I am a firm believer in the 'customization is the root of all evil' principle of software design. So no, thanks. I am very happy with Safari actually. It's a simple, efficient, no nonsense browser that does exactly what I want it to do. And the audio output indicator in 10.11 makes it a must.

7. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Fair enough. I disagree.

8. TekGuy macrumors member

Well a new day and my RAM usage for Chrome 46 Beta is 1004MB :eek:

It's dropped by approx 2GB. After installing yesterday it only showed 200-300MB difference, must have been the restart I did last night.

Well i'm mega happy with Chrome now :D

9. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

It's scrolling performance has improved dramatically as well. Am I the only one? Battery optimisations, performance optimisations and RAM optimisations...

10. TekGuy macrumors member

Yeah your rite. Scrolling seems to be 'fluid'. It's as smooth as butter.

Battery optimisation i cannot comment on as i don't take mine out and mostly connected to power supply.

Overall performance has improved, ie. previously when on a webpage and I right click a link to open link in new tab there would be slight freeze or more of a pause whilst it loaded new tab, this has gone entirely.

Very happy with Chrome 46 Beta, improvements all around to be fair.

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

I used to hate chrome, but the latest releases convinced me. It seems much more efficient than safari now.

12. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

this why I in threads unless money a major issue advise the say 16gb package or higher. For a variety of reasons devs tend to rely on the tactic of throw more ram at it over deep level recoding to be more optimized. Business needs and all that jazz I understand somewhat. But....at the same time system memory being a casualty of the need to rush to produce to market also not something I welcome with open arms either.

Especially with agile model applications....But thats me bitter about agile. Based on support fun with some apps made like this it seems to be agile seems to say "intense QA?" We don't have time to QA. Throw on wall, it sticks, push out in next patch/update. Memory just happens to the innocent bystander wiped out in that IT drive by sadly.

13. JackieInCo Suspended

Chrome is low on my usage as well. It's one of my favorite browsers. With 12 tabs open, it's .07 % on the list