I am still running 2.1 on my JB iphone 3G

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by sandra7109, Feb 3, 2009.

1. sandra7109 macrumors member

I have not yet done the 2 upgrades that have come out after I jailbroke my phone, I am a bit scared of loosing all my apps and jailbroken apps :eek:

My memory is not the best and it seems like eons ago that I jailbroke,I have appt backup as well as AppBackup.

How would I go about upgrading and than rejailbreaking while still keeping all my apps ? Links for the easiest walk thrus ?

Any help would be amazing , I have looked thru the threads but there are so many and I want to do it properly.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    AptBackup and AppBackups are the only ways to do it. Sorry. Everything will always get erased when you update.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Download AptBackup, use it, sync phone, use jailbreak processes, restore your backup, download AptBackup again, click restore. :)

4. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

1. Un-poof, or un-categorise, all apps.
    2. Run AptBackup and AppBackup.
    3. Sync iTunes with iPhone (to create an iPhone backup).
    4. Restore the phone via iTunes.
    5. Upgrade to 2.2.1 (if you don't mind about being able to unlock).
    6. Jailbreak the phone with QuickPwn (or PwnageTool if you prefer).
    7. Install AptBackup and AppBackup from Cydia (and BossPrefs and OpenSSH just incase).
    8. Restore the iTunes backup.
    9. Restore apps with AptBackup and App Backup.

Hope that helps :)

5. sandra7109 thread starter macrumors member

:) Thanks I am doing the app backups now, not sure how to un catagorize them ?

6. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Your steps are a little off. If you use Pwnage tool, no need to restore and load a pwned firmware. Just load the pwned firmware. :) Also you restore your backup, then download AptBackup then click Restore. :)

7. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Yes, I know PwnageTool will cause a restore, but I assumed if he's going to use it he'll know a little about it. And it doesn't matter if you restore your backup then install AptBackup, or install AptBackup then restore your backup.

8. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Well, no it shouldn't, but for clarity for those not as familiar with the process...

After you load the pwned firmware, itunes will ask you to set up as a new phone or restore. If you want to restore, it syncs everything back over. This means you are "done" needing the iPhone connected and can now focus on getting your apps back, can disconnect and go. :)

9. sandra7109 thread starter macrumors member

Ok I have synced with itunes to get all my apps and songs on that I did thru my phone and than I hit restore and it says it is backing up sandras iphone.

It seems to be taking forever almost 4hrs now and its almost at the 3/4 mark :eek: is this normal ?