I am surprised by all the hate, is anyone excited by all the changes?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DougFNJ, Oct 4, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

First of all, it has been forewarned by many not to be disappointed, the iPhone 4S was expected by the bulk of speculators, factory photos, etc. With the exception of some leaked design drawings of the teardrop prototype and some proactive case manufacturers trying to capitalize, there was absolutely no physical evidence of a redesign.

I am thinking Apple is looking to do their major redesigns to coincide with the 2 year contract upgrades of the many that bought iPhone 4 upon release. How many of those buyers would be willing to part with the off contract pricing?

Besides, do you really feel this design is THAT old? Nobody has come close to the hardware, and no one device has outsold it. Please don't forget that sales have not slowed down for the iPhone 4, and I am sure it won't for the 4S. It's an innovative design with innards we wanted, no?

Break it down, the camera, as well as the camera software rivals most compact digital cameras available on the market today. We got a VERY capable dual core processor, from what I've been reading from those who got to use them hands on, it speeds up an already fast platform. If they put in a faster processor, chances are you probably wouldn't notice the speed difference, but you would definitely notice the battery life difference. On top of that, it looks like one of the best resolution displays on the market will benefit greatly from the better graphics processor. I am curious if they are also giving it the RAM bump to the 1 gig, if it performs as nicely as I'm reading, I don't think many will care.

I speak for myself, and I am sure many others that the 64GB was MORE than welcome, if we didn't get that, I would had been extremely disappointed. I was joking with a couple people saying if that was the only upgrade we get I will be happy. I'm sure plenty of people could care less, but I was not so crazy about only having 3/4 of my collection able to fit, and that was by downgrading to 128kbps. And with the amount of high quality apps, I've had the annoyance of figuring what to keep and what to remove. The 64gb upgrade probably got me about as excited as many who would had gotten the iPhone 5.

I don't know about anyone else, but coming from having Android as a stopgap platform until Verizon had finally gotten iPhone, I did miss the drop down notifications, and the superior voice control of Android. I am happy they seemed to had bypassed the abilities with this SIRI. It appears they have taken voice control to another level, not to mention the gps location based notifications, think about it, for those who easily forget things.....going to the store, as soon as you come within the proximity, you get your reminder to get the milk you probably would had forgotten?

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as a fanboy, but I am one that is really looking forward To this. It seems like such a shame so many are judging this phone based just looking at the outside aesthetics of the device, that seems like that is only thing the 4 and 4S will have in common I have read a lot about iOS 5 and it seems like a much more major upgrade then I think many are going to realize. coming from a Droid X before the iPhone, I can attest it was not very portable, and the extra less than 1 inch did not make the big difference I think many would think there would be.

I'm sure there are many that feel the same as me, I am just surprised that there are so many that aren't seeing the big picture on this one. At the same time, If you dislike it that much.....it is nice to have choices ;). More competition equals better innovation.

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Why are you surprised about all this hate?!. The majority of people wanted a bigger screen more than anything so if the 4s had a bigger screen but everything else the same, 99% of the people here would be happy. Same screen=hate

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

5. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

6. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

This is not something worthy of extending my contract for another 2 years! Bigger screen definitely would've been the deal breaker!!

7. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I'm not surprised by all the hate at all.

As we approached closer to the event all the rumors pointed out to the "iPhone 4S". That was a work by Apple, to die down the hope for a redesign.

8. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm totally excited about the update!

There's no reason to hate...

9. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not surprised. Well deserved.

10. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

What changes? You mean the feature where you can talk instead of type on your phone?

Otherwise, you can just write an "S" on the back of your iPhone 4 and never know the difference between the two.

11. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

There's nothing revolutionary about it, nothing new & exiting. It's just a bump in specs. The change from the iPhone 3G to 3Gs was a little more "exiting" because the performance improvement really made the phone a better user experience. The current iPhone 4 is plenty fast, but then I don't play games on it.

----------

So if they had used UPS it would have been better? :D

12. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Siri is revolutionary

13. irDigital0l Guest

not really...no...

14. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

The hate is really towards Tim Cook's inability to manage expectations going into the event.

There was no controlled leak on Apple's part to lower expectations of any iPhone 5 appearing. Many of the journalists themselves were hoping or expecting some sort of surprise with an iPhone 5, which was evident by the fact that they were using "4S/5" as their titles for live blogs.

Tim Cook really let this slip miserably. I'm not as annoyed that they only came out with a Verizon-CDMA-iPhone-4-with-an-A5-chip and an 8MP camera, as I am with him not managing expectations. Even Apple-friendly WSJ bashed him at it. Really poor and frankly pathetic job at it.

15. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

But it is. People have become accustomed to wanting a physical keyboard on a phone which is insanity. QWERTY keyboards were designed to slow your typing down. Harkens back to the days of the impact typewriter where hitting two adjacent keys would jam them.

Speech is something most humans do naturally from a young age on and it's a far more powerful input modality. With Siri I could pick up a phone that's been set to Mandarin Chinese and dictate in english and the system would parse and give me proper results.

People are confusing Siri with what we have now with Nuance Dragon and Googles Voice dictation. Note that those systems do not handle additional languages easily. Siri is designed to be modular and much of the processing work is on understanding context and deriving meaning to the text

It's ground breaking ...and the future. But hey don't let that interrupt the whine fest over lack of a 4" screen or ridiculously thin design.

16. rcarruth macrumors newbie

When your on top you can expect everyone to pile on. As far as I'm concerned I did not want a thinner phone or a bigger screen. Faster processing and a better camera is great but the Siri software is what is bringing me on board the upgrade train.

17. ColeHarris macrumors regular

Really? Lets see:
    Upgraded Processor
    Upgraded Graphics
    Upgraded Ram
    Upgraded Memory
    Upgraded Camera
    Upgraded Antenna
    Yeah your right not much of an Update.

18. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

It's a blind alley built by Trekkies who dream of telling the Holodeck what program they want to run.

How many situations give you the opportunity to talk through an information request on your phone, out loud? I find the majority of my phone use is done in places where it's quiet or expected to be quiet -- work, on line in places like Starbucks, on subways/trains, out with big groups places, etc. We're a private society in public -- we don't want people knowing our business. I highly doubt people are going to move away from quietly typing on their phones anytime soon.

----------

Yet iOS 5 still runs perfectly fine on the iP4, as will virtually all apps on the app store. Glad to have all that extra horsepower.

So, unless you love taking pictures (in which case, why don't you own a camera with an optical zoom and real features), the iP4S isn't going to add much to your life.

19. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

If by revolutionary you mean something that has been around for awhile then sure, the inclusion of Siri, which was for sale at the App Store before, in the 4s is "revolutionary" and "magical". :rolleyes:

20. ColeHarris macrumors regular

I'm not sure your seeing the point of that extra horsepower. Give it a few months and developers will be making apps to take advantage of that speed then you'll be wishing you had a 4S. Secondly carrying around a point and shoot isn't always an option and those times when you need to quickly take a photo its nice to know that you have a phone that will give you the best quality possible. Are you saying that people that own real cameras should never use the camera on their phones? Thirdly more ram means you dont have to reload tabs in safari and pages will load more quickly. Anyways enjoy you iPhone 4!

21. xraytech macrumors 68020

Seems to be the consensus that everyone was expecting a larger screen.

So basically all Apple needed to do was forget the processor, memory, camera and OS upgrade and just slap on a bigger screen.

22. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Give it a few months, and we'll be gearing up for the WWDC release of the iPhone 5 anyway.

And I don't take pictures other than to share funny things with friends. I find men who take lots of pictures to be slightly odd.

23. admanimal macrumors 68040

So if upgraded internal hardware is useless to you, and taking pictures threatens your manhood, what exactly did you want out of the new phone?

24. TLewis macrumors 65816

Unlikely. The new reality is that Apple's likely staggering the iPad and iPhone releases to be around 6 months apart. Not only does this make the company financials look better, but it minimizes the sales of one affecting the sales of the other.

So, the next iPhone is likely to come out around a year from now. :eek:

25. h00ligan macrumors 68030

It's been around forever...no its not revolutionary, it's evolutionary. On this platform and others.

iPhone 4s is a snoozer for anyone who doesn't game or need a better camera...I guess battery life for road warriors maybe..but the 4 charges so fast, I personally don't have an issue.