I am the most unlucky Mac buyer ever.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darkbayleef, Feb 2, 2011.

1. darkbayleef macrumors newbie

Hello everyone. Let's begin this tale of woe from the start.

In December 2009 I purchased a brand new 15", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro (5,4) on a staff sale at work (we are an Apple authorised reseller). I have a 3 year Applecare subscription (so I can take it to Apple if that's the only solution).

It came with a 250GB HDD which was not suitable for what I needed, so I upgraded it to a 500GB Hitachi 7,200RPM drive from Umart. Bad idea. The hard drive wouldn't install Mac OS at all. I tried EVERYTHING, and eventually got it to work. Only, it froze every few seconds. Annoyed, I returned it to Umart, and after 1 month of waiting to hear back from them, I sent them an email. They apologised for the delay and sent a replacement the next day.

This one worked (joy oh joy) however after installing Adobe Photoshop the computer froze randomly when doing anything intensive (such as playing Counter-Strike Source). This DIDN'T happen before Adobe (believe me I tested this quite a lot) only after (this is not my main issue but if someone could shed light on this that would be great thanks), also I have NO console logs to shed light on this error. Moving on.

The errors annoyed me and the agonising boot time (from around 20-25 seconds up to 1 minute +, I've had some fixes to improve it but it still sucks) lead me to purchase a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB. Not wanting full SSD (due to cost, plus I transfer files on and off my drives quite a lot) but wanting SSD speed (for once, my MBP might start fast and open apps instantly), I bought one from MSY along with an 8GB Corsair DDR3 1066MHz kit from Penta computers.

The HDD didn't work at all (of course). Refused to install from disks. So I used a caddy to install it, and it worked fine. Put it in my computer, nada. Used the original 250GB Fujitsu drive in the Mac, it worked great. Used my Hitachi 500GB, it booted ok (slow as usual however). Momentus froze constantly, when it did load after around 2 minutes apps took 1 minute + to load and froze constantly. I took it back to MSY and they are running "diagnostics" on it despite the fact that its a major known fault with these drives (I only found this AFTER I bought the drive, of course).

Now I've installed my new 8GB DDR3 kit (grounded of course) my computer can barely handle anything, it crashes Safari a lot (hopefully I can post this before it crashes) and Chrome refuses to load and when (if) it does, tabs crash instantly. Steam won't load at all. Skype sometimes crashes. The error I get is EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS). I've run memory tests, hardware diagnostics, I've run fsck, repaired the disk, the permissions, run every single Onyx maintenance script, searched as many forums as I can, with nothing helping.

People of Macrumors, I turn to you for help. Have I just made a series of major blunders, am I just amazingly unlucky, or am I just not meant to have a Mac? Wat do?

- Cam

2. alphaone macrumors 6502

To me this means that either you've been unlucky enough to get ALL bad hard drives or there's some sort of memory controller or bus hardware problem on the laptop. Did you try using applecare? (I don't know how that works in Australia.)

3. darkbayleef thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I honestly believe I would be unlucky enough to get ALL bad hard drives, though I wouldn't rule out my entire computer being made of bad parts.

I haven't tried that yet, simply because the Apple Store is about an hours drive from my house and I've been tied up with work lately.

4. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I agree, it doesn't sound like the hard drive. It sounds to me like a faulty drive cable, but these laptops don't have cables, do they? I agree with alphaone, I think it's a hardware problem with the laptop. Drive the hour and get some peace of mind. And let us know how it goes!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you contact Adobe for support if you think Adobe software caused slow downs? :rolleyes:

6. darkbayleef, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

darkbayleef thread starter macrumors newbie

Got a booking for Wednesday. Spent about 20 minutes on the phone to a helpful Apple guy who told me that because I've upgraded the HDD its voided the warranty. However if I take the original as well as the faulty HDD in they should be able to fix my troubles (fingers crossed). Here's hoping it's something easy to fix, I love my computer to much to have broken like that.

LOL, Adobe.

7. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Let us know how it goes. And just so you know, any hard drive can get OS X installed on it; there's nothing unique about hard drives as they are all interchangeable with each other, so when you initially had problems you probably should have contacted Apple to get it looked at.

8. alphaone macrumors 6502

Um.. unless it's somehow different in Australia upgrading the hard drive does not void the warranty. The MBP manual itself shows you how to do it. I think that guy was full of it.

That being said, I would put the original HD and ram back in if you can, it may help remove doubt in the tech's eyes.

9. davidee macrumors member

are you attempting to install 10.6 from an upgrade disk (one of the originals)?

I had a similar issue and then thought about how in the system7 days enablers mattered. While not the same these days, there was something about the original 10.6 disc that may be the issue. The apple store will swap it out no prob. and let me guess if you put back in the original ram it works fine but cores on install from dvd with the 8GB right?

I'll look when I get home but I thought the version on the replacement disc I swapped it out for was 10.6.3

If this is not it, sorry about the non-specific rambling, carry on.

-ee
    :apple: