I am thinking about doing the extreme...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by surjavarman, Mar 1, 2013.

1. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

I am thinking about doing the extreme and sell my rMBP15 for an ipad4.

Heres my current situation. I am broke and I have a hard time finding a job. Furthermore I mainly use safari, itunes, mail app, preview, vlc, torrent client, BTT. Very rarely do I use any other apps. Can I still justify keeping the rMBP15 based on my financial situation and my usage?

I had a few recommendations that I should sell my rmbp15 and get an ipad. But...

Store - with 16gigs how can I watch any movies or listen to music
    Multitasking - without hotkeys, gestures, BTT, screen real estate, expose/dock, alt+tab, spotlight... how can I effectively multitask? I mean the way I see it switching and launching apps takes longer than a P4 computer with a traditional mechanical harddrive.
    Downloading - how can I download media to consume? Or documents for that matter without a file system.
    USB - no usb = no printers, scanners, thumb drives, charging devices
    itunes syncing - no itunes means I have no way of managing my pictures, apps, music. I have an iphone and I find it a complete disaster to do anything with it without using my computer.

Could I still cope with an ipad4?

2. MacKid, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

MacKid macrumors 6502

Sell it and get an Air. Or a Dell. Being broke with an rMBP in your possession is quite a quandary and doesn't paint a very clear picture of how badly you need an extra couple hundred bucks. =P You could probably save some more money by ditching the iPhone (and associated data plan) and going with a plain phone with a cheap monthly bill and then picking up an iPod.

Sorry to make light of your situation, but there it is.

3. walkie macrumors 6502

Weren't you going to sell you rMBP and buy a ChromeBook?, remember you can sell your rMBP and buy an iPad 4 then you can try it for 14 days if you don't like it you can return it and buy a MBA.

4. Ann P, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013

Ann P macrumors 68020

Wouldn't recommend it if the iPad is going to be the ONLY device.

itunes syncing - no itunes means I have no way of managing my pictures, apps, music. I have an iphone and I find it a complete disaster to do anything with it without using my computer.

This deal breaker alone is why I can't give up my Macbook for an iPad. I'm planning to either invest in an Air or Netbook.

5. robvas macrumors 68020

6. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Sell your blood plasma, go to a fertility clinic and get paid, become a medical research guinea pig, hobo fighting ? , STRIPPER ? create the next big thing and sell it for billions,

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Wow. Just wow. I really have nothing to add and can only wonder what kind of priorities people have these days.

8. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I am not even sure you can justify an iPad 4, let alone a rMBP. I think you should take a real step back and figure where you are at in life, and where you are going. Your number 1 priority should be getting a source of steady income and saving.

9. Rodster macrumors 68040

I vote for selling your rMBP and buying a refurbed iPad 3 from Apple for the cheap. Everything you listed you can (don't know about torrents) do on the rMBP can be done on the iPad. :)

10. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I am thinking about doing the extreme...

No one knows his damn life.. Don't be so quick to judge.. For all we know, he might have gotten laid off otherwise how would he have bought it anyway???

The people on this site man...

In my opinion.. I would keep it just for the sake of applying for jobs, can't do that too well on a iPad

11. cramazing macrumors 6502

forget the rmbp, forget the ipad..

sell your MBP, and buy some windows laptop for now, your focus should be on finding a new job.

and once you do find this job, sell the windows laptop and then you'll be able to afford another RMBP

a computer is just a temp machine for a part of your life, doesnt last forever

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Yep this is absolutely the way to go, in many respects Mac`s are expensive toy`s unless they bring you income or you already have a high disposable income. Focus on what`s important, you can deal with the material aspect later when you are back on your feet financially.

Best of luck Q-6

13. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

Since you mentioned that you are broke, I would just sell your rMBP and then just go to a library to use a computer.

14. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

I'm not sure one can use an iPad instead of a computer. My iPad is complimentary to my Mac, there are things that one will do that the other won't.

Do you absolutely need the portability? Most people will buy a laptop even if it is use only at home or the office. Because if you don't need the portability, you could sell your rmbp and buy a refurb Mac Mini, if you don't own a monitor you could plug it into your tv. That way, you would not be limited functionality wise. When things get better you could then buy an iPad.

The most important question for you IMHO is will your choice affect your job situation? Do you need to choose one or the other in function of your job search?

Been there man, good luck!

15. unobtainium macrumors 68000

How is that helpful? You don't know his situation aside from the few details he's provided here. It sounds like OP had a job, bought an rMBP, lost his job, and is now having trouble finding work. It's a common story these days, so I don't really see the point of judging.

As for the OP, I'd sell the rMBP for sure. Look on Craigslist and pick up a used MacBook or older MBP that's still in good shape. An iPad won't be as useful for job hunting, nor will it allow you to do much file/media management or downloading.

16. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Sell it and get a cheaper MacBook or even a Chromebook. Seriously, if you're looking for employment and all you really need are a basic set of productivity apps and Email and Internet Access it's hard to beat a $250 CB. Don't discredit apps like Google Music, Google Drive, Maps, etc as well. They're free and they are better than average tools to use in a pinch. Especially when money's tight you have no choice but to economize and sacrifice some things.

17. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

Well i could expect at least $1599-$1699 (Depends on the condition) for a base rmbp 15, so sell it and get a low cost refurb windows laptop (God curse me for even suggesting this) but macs are expensive and and an iPad can never really meet all your needs (Learnt that from experience). Once you are back in a stable financial position then purchase a new mac.
    If you are really not comfortable with windows then get a refurb macbook air/pro 2011 for $800. That way you save a lot of money! Also sell your iPhone (Or return it) and get a normal phone to save on phone bills.
    :apple:

----------

That's kinda mean, considering the economy and everything!

----------

Yes a mac mini would suffice if you have limited financial capabilities right now! But that is if you dont need portability!

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Then how can you (or anyone else) give advice? :confused: You have the same information as me.

Which is why a replacement MBP "trinket" should be the furthest thing from his mind. Ya think?

19. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Maybe, but not necessarily. A computer is a pretty useful job-search tool. A computer is also necessary for many lines of work (no idea what OP does for a living). Which is why I suggested a used MBP, which can be had for the same price as a new budget PC. Macs actually make a lot of economic sense to me because they hold their value much much better. That way, when he finds a job, he can sell it for virtually the same price and upgrade to whatever he wants as his finances allow.

20. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

A cheap tablet for email. And... they have PC's at the library. They're free to use.

If you have no idea then why did you feel the need to interject this?

Why not a used "budget" PC. Or a cheap-assed netbook? 90% of the world gets along just fine without macs you know.

21. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Sure. And that would be a last resort for most people. You might as well sell your phone and use a payphone for job hunting.
    Really? Because the OP is job hunting, and many jobs require a PC. This is both simple and relevant.
    Because as I stated, I don't believe a "budget" PC makes a lot of sense. They lose almost half their resale value instantaneously. Within a couple years, you can barely give them away. And most people on these forums, including myself (and probably the OP) prefer Macs, know how to use Macs, already have Mac apps, etc.

22. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Keep the rMBP for as long as you can. It would be very hard to use a iPad 4 as a primary device and the new iPad should be here soon.