i am thinking to clean install snow leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bo-waleed, Oct 22, 2009.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

so i have to format the hdd

and i already backedup all my files by time machine
    after that i deleted some files on my MBP [which i backedup ]

but i want to back up again and then clean install snow leopard
    the question is how ???

2. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Eh?

Can you make that a little clearer? Are you saying that you have already backed up using Time Machine yet you want to back up again before formatting? If so, why?

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

If you don't care about the old backup, and just want to backup the current data you have, just erase the backup drive, and start Time Machine again. It will start over from scratch, so when you migrate the data over you don't have any "old data" transfered over.

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

to the second poster
    yes
    because i deleted about 50 giga
    and i want to backup again because i installed some programes

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Yeah. If you are positive that you don't need any of the old information on Time Machine, you can delete that backup, then have Time Machine start over and it will make a fresh backup.

Otherwise, Time Machine will automatically update the backup, and if you restore from it after a clean install, I believe it just creates folders with "old" in the name to signify that it was on the backup, but is data that was otherwise deleted from the original drive. So, if you had a bunch of movies in the Movie folder that you deleted but were backed up on Time Machine, after a clean install and restore from TM I think it will create an "old data" folder in the Movie folder with all of the stuff you previously deleted.

I am not 100% positive about that last part, but have heard that TM does that which can make a restore messy.

Someone has probably made a post here or on Google about what exactly happens when you restore from a Time Machine backup.

6. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

can any1 confirm that ?

well i didn't back up by TM after the first back up
    sp i am afraid that if i try to backup again it will delete the files