Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
For this review, I'll skip reviewing individual components, I'm sure you can find out a lot more about them if you google them yourself. The purpose of this result (other than I'm bored) is to give an idea on how much synergy there is among all these components together. Basically, the whole is much greater than the sum of it's parts. Before I begin, I would just like to give some context that I'm currently a university undergraduate and this bag has almost everything I want.

WaterFields Macbook Air Wallet

This bag may seem small, but it could fit quite a large number of things. Everything you see here (plus a Fuji X100 camera which I had not bought at that point of time) fits, not inside, but can be carried around. Let me describe. As can be seen, the bottle here clips nicely on the side of the bag, when you side sling the bag, it is easy to just unclip the bottle to get a sip of water when you are thirsty. The black Westone IEM case has been replaced by the smaller UE metal case. Originally, the IEM case was clipped to the opposite side of the bag, but I found it too troublesome and unsightly.

Bear in mind, though, that clipping things on the bag are very prone to swinging about, so if you have a water source nearby, or think that you do not need a bottle, I would suggest not clipping anything at all.

2011-08-23 23.31.07 by charpi123, on Flickr

The insides of the bag contain 2 smaller pockets and a bigger one (indicated by the poorly drawn rectangles, but you get the idea). I put my JH13s in one of the small pockets and my stationery (2 pens, 1 pencil and 1 eraser) in the other small pocket. I can't describe how convenient it is. Many a time the situation arises where I have to fill in forms or take down notes I just need to unzip the bag halfway and take out a pen. This can even be done on the move with the bag still side slinged by your side. Same for my earphones.

As can be seen, what I absolutely LOVE about this setup is that EVERYTHING can be done on the move as long as what is needed are on the top 2 pockets. No more must I put down everything just to fish out my earphones or stationery from my bag. When you are used to it, it can be even done without looking. Kudos to the bag's design.

2011-08-23 23.34.35 by charpi123, on Flickr

Inside the bottom, bigger pouch I normally put my Hypermac battery and the apple airline adapter for the battery. I tried fitting the apple adapter in but it was a little too thick (you can force it in and still close the bag, but I didn't want to).

Oh, and before I forget, there is a stretchy magazine pouch at the back of the bag too. It fits my iPad + logitech bluetooth keyboard just fine. However, if you are particular about things rubbing against your leg then I'd suggest not putting it at all.

The macbook air storage is a NICE cozy place to put your Air in. It is suspended from the base of the bag so even when you drop the bag your Air would not take much damage. I LOVE this feature about this bag. Other than that, not much to say as pictures do more talking. It was a snug fit and the padding provided was sufficient for me.

Performance

Let me talk about the performance of this setup in terms of the wide variety of situations it can be used in, mostly for school.

On the way to school, for the people who need a hour or so to travel to school by bus or train, just whip out your earphones to relax. In my case, my JH13s just block out every other noise and I can fully immerse myself in music. The sound staging and accuracy of these CIEMs are fantastic. For that one hour, I would not be on the public transport going to school, but enjoying a concert or musical by myself. That is all credit to the JH13s. This is truly a great way to relax.

When I reach school I conveniently coil up my CIEMs, put them in the box and slip it into the bag without needing to give it much attention. During class, when everyone is taking out their laptops they normally need to take it out of their bag AND sleeve. For me, my bag IS my sleeve and that's enough protection for me for my Air.

2011-08-23 23.34.53 by charpi123, on Flickr

When I need to take notes and such, my notepad and pens are less than an arm's length away and I don't even need to take my eyes off the lecture. Everything can be done so intuitively.

Nearing the end of the day, when my Air starts running out of battery, I still have my extended battery pack (Which incidentally charges the phone/ipad too if you bring along the cable). This gets troublesome though, since it's all the way at the bottom of the bag, I have to dig out my notepad and my camera first before reaching it. It is quite a hassle. All in all, my Air gives me around 4h of battery + the extended battery's 4-5h it's more than enough for me. 8h is 1/3 of a day! Unless you are a power user or stay on campus, I think that it's enough for you too.

And any time you see something interesting, the X100 is a nifty camera. It uses an APS-C sensor found in mid range DSLRs and has a lovely Fujinon sensor. It's a great on-the-go camera with a great balance between portability and quality. I value portability a lot as good shots might happen any time and you don't want a lug a DSLR to school everyday. You want to have an excellent little camera when these moments come.

In conclusion, this is a portable, stylish, lightweight, convenient, compact, discrete bag which has so many uses given it's size and form factor. I am more of a "functionality over form" kind of guy, but you can see that this bag has quite good looks, but since I'm not good that describing how nice it looks, I shall let pictures do it justice.

Summary List of items (really packed to max)
1x Hypermac Battery
1x Apple Airline Adapter (for the battery to work)
1x Fuji X100
1x Thin jotter book
1x Earphones
1x Macbook Air (Of course)
3x Pens, pencils or erasers (Can fit more actually)
1x iPad
1x Logitech keyboard
You can clip on the bottle but in the end it was too "dangly" so I didn't

Not all is perfect though, here are some problems.

Problems:
- Frays quite easily, but again, I did not take care of the bag that well.
- Not big enough for more stuff, only can pack "flat" stuff.
- This setup is friggin EXPENSIVE!

Ps. Before I got my X100 I had an olympus which was also good. Here can some photos by it.

456921_320963184657624_1573217992_o by charpi123, on Flickr

PC150303 by charpi123, on Flickr

PC220411 by charpi123, on Flickr

Last edited:

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Ok, after reading it again it seemed quite messy.. I apologize for that.

And if anyone can any questions feel free to ask :)

I will try my best to answer them :D

charpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
Please amend your original post - it is not a WATERFIELD MESSENGER BAG....

you were right ...pretty messy....

Ah, done... it may have written it too excitedly :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.