I am using an iPhone 3G with the original iPhone plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ejrizo, Aug 11, 2008.

1. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

so a friend of mine was not happy with AT&T so he wanted to move over to T-Mobile but there was only one problem... iPhone 3G cant be unlocked yet....

he offered to trade me for my phone if i unlocked my 2G iphone...

so we traded and i just swapped the sim and i am using the phone as is no contract or no change in contract just using the old iPhone plan...

i still get 3G and GPS.... any word with this sort of situation? anyone with experience out there?

thanks in advance...

BTW i dont want the... "well you are going to get a huge bill or blah blah" if you dont know what you are talking about... if you say something thats opinion please state so :)

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

if you got 2 iPhones(1 3G, one OG, like me having a OG, n my bro havin 3G), my bro put HIS SIM in my phone, activated it in iTunes, got the iPhone OG plan, put his SIM in his phone.....he gets the OG plan...i put my SIM in the OG, i get the OG plan...he keep it in 3G, we BOTH get the OG plan, even though he using 3G...his GPS works...3G works fine..hes good to go..(GPS and 3G are HARDWARE...not SIM..well it is SIM related, but even on my old RAZR i had a 3G SIM...it just wasnt activated with a data plan)

3. lmcintyre macrumors regular

Yea, its been done. All data plans work for 3g too, its just a matter of if the phone supports it or not. In theory AT&T could find out your using an iPhone 3G on an edge plan. The contract says that AT&T has permission to add an authorized data plan to your account without your approval if you aren't signed up for one. If they will do this in the future remains to be seen.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

Agreed. I've down this for my wife's iphone 3g by reactivating my old iphone 2g so she's now on the iphone $20 (medianet + 200) plan. I'm on the $30 iphone data plan.

Worse thing that could happen is that we pay an extra $15 if ATT decides to automatically move her the legal iphone data plan.

I would pay the lower data plan as long as you can and risk it with ATT auditing your account.

5. ejrizo thread starter macrumors 6502

ejrizo

now if they adjusted my account to change the data rate... that would not increase my contract length right?