I appear to have broken my MBP installing Lion

magiic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
San Jose
I bought Lion from the AppStore and installed it. Around the 90% mark the little box that says in a bunch of languages please hold down the power button to restart came up. I reset it and now when it boots it just sits at the apple logo with a little thing spinning underneath. I've tried booting holding alt/option and neither drive it shows does anything other than sit at the apple screen. How can I fix this?

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA
I bought Lion from the AppStore and installed it. Around the 90% mark the little box that says in a bunch of languages please hold down the power button to restart came up. I reset it and now when it boots it just sits at the apple logo with a little thing spinning underneath. I've tried booting holding alt/option and neither drive it shows does anything other than sit at the apple screen. How can I fix this?
This sounds an awful lot like what happened on my install. I expected to be able to boot nicely into Lion, but found that I couldn't get past the Apple logo.

First - if you leave your machine on for a couple of minutes, does the Apple logo eventually switch to a "No Entry" logo?

Second - have you tried resetting the PRAM?

Third - have you tried booting in Single User Mode, or at least tried booting with the Verbose command?

basher

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2011
Glendale, AZ USA
What you experienced is a Kernel Panic. Previous poster has good suggestions. If that still doesn't get it, you might try a clean install of Snowy then install Lion.

My fingers are crossed you have a backup of your data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.