I appreciate Apples refurb products even more

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SparkFlash, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

My fiancé was in the market for a new laptop and isn't a mac person like me. So I set out to find her a decent laptop for fairly cheap. I found a place locally called microcenter. (micro center.com) Do not ever buy a refurbished product from them!!!

I bought a dell and was told they are normally returns verified good to go, cleaned up, etc. Being very used to Apples refurb process I was beyond angry when I opened the box.

Several keys were worn almost totally off from use! There were two black spots on the screen, and marks all over from long term use.

I always loved apples refurb process, but man does this confirm for me how awesome they are. This thing is going back first thing tomorrow but it really bothers me they sell these as "refurbished". This one was obviously a floor model that saw heavy use and had defects that were very obvious.

If you are ever looking at a refurb steer clear of micro center. Unless you want to roll the dice.

2. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Not sure apple and a small indie are really comparable.. Not doubt the same could happen regardless of brand with this outfit.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Why not get her an Apple refurb - as long as it is from 2013 and/or later you should be fine - and add Office for Mac to it, which makes it a lot easier for those used to an Apple universe?

However, @AFEPPL is quite right: You cannot really compare a small indie shop, which basically tarts up second hand and used computer products and seals them cheaply with Apple.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

First time I've seen Microcenter referred to as a small indie shop. Very well known and competitive company. Bought many high end tech from them because they run fantastic sales that beat Amazon or other more major retailers. The issue here is you're comparing a third party authorized retailer to buying direct from the manufacturer. If you had bought a refurb unit from Dell directly, you wouldn't be in this mess. Dell for example will replace bezels, hard drive, keyboard platform, etc. through their refurbishment program and then sell from their site. A third party retailer will not sink the money for that.

5. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I buy nearly all of my Apple products through the refurb store. Over the years I've probably purchased 5-6 laptops, a couple iPods, an AppleTV. I've only had one issue with one of the laptops (they forgot to take a sticker tag off of one of the fans so it was making some clicking noise - took it in to the Apple store and got it taken care of for free). Free shipping and a one year warranty...not a bad deal!

6. Tech198 macrumors G4

refubs are good... Never had problems with them.

And out of all of that, how much did u save buy not buying new?

7. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Microcenter is fairly large. Not really an Indie shop to me. When I went to return the laptop the guy didn't even take it out to look at it. He simply said ok. He proceeded to tell me their refurbs are not tested, etc before putting for sale. Really blew my mind.

Anyways we found her a good laptop on eBay that was in great shape. The reason we didn't grab an apple refurb is she is not an apple fan. (Hates change) Her previous laptop was an air but she just couldn't adjust to the OS X.