I as was happy, but I am not any longer...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeeklancer, May 26, 2009.

1. zeeklancer macrumors regular

So, I now have two macs. I want to keep all my media on my home mac, as it is a lot of media, and no media on my laptop mac. The deal is I still want music with me. So YAY I have an iphone. But no, it does not work right.

You see, I want to be able to sync with one mac, and only one mac, but I want to use another mac to just PLAY the songs and update the last played and play count and rating. But you can't do that. I could set to manual mange files, then I have to use some apple scripts that ask alot of questions and attempt to sync play count info and rating.

So right now I as a last ditch hope, is there some way to plug my iphone in and have the iphone play via the speakers on my mac laptop? Eg, if I plug my head phones in to my iPhone I wont hear sounds from my mac, like new chat sounds and what not.

Please somebody must have an answer. I feel apple really failed.

I should be able to plug my iphone in and play music, but I cant.

I am currently hacking away at the iTunesDB format to see if I can make my own iphone player, but the iTunesDB format is not documented!!

anyways, this is the single thing I HATE most about my iphone, it sucks, and just about ruins the iphone for me. Why have 8 gigs of music if I can't play it the way I want to play it.

-Zeek

2. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

It's your laptop connected to the internet? You can use SimplifyMedia to stream from iTunes to iTunes or to your iPhone.
    You can't plug your iPhone into your laptop due to the plug in the laptop being audio in only.

3. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

you could buy some portable speakers?? Or keep your music on your laptop?

Other than that I don't know of anything to be able to plug in and play music... Maybe if you get one of those cords that your plug into the headphone jack of both things it's double sided. So plug that in and then I'm not sure about what else though... ehh I'm lost ;[

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Why are you making this unnecessarily complicated? Get an Apple TV and download the Remote app on your iPhone.

5. zeeklancer thread starter macrumors regular

SimplifyMedia is nice, but it does not appear to allow me to update ratings and play count.

I must use head phones, so extra set of speakers is a no go.

What am I going to do with an AppleTV at work?

All I want to do is sync my iPhone and be able to play music off of it via other itunes installs. Seems simple enough. Or if there was an app that made my mbp act as a dock and would allow me to control the playback of the iphone via the mac.

6. SmoothCaller macrumors newbie

7. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Totally. You already answered your own question: Manually manage your music. Or get some cheap speakers. Or...you get the idea.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm lost.
    You want to play music from your iPhone via your speakers from your MB but you sync your phone to another Mac at home (or someplace else)?
    Generally speaking you're hosed. Whatever this AppleTV hooplah is about I am unsure, but you cannot play music from your iPhone in iTunes on a machine that is not in sync with that phone.

However, I believe you may get away with enabling disc mode either by jail breaking your phone or using a 3rd party app. If you do this I believe you can launch iTunes, load music in iTunes from your iPhone (using it as the source drive of your music) and then play from your MB and never need your iPhone after that.

If this is why the iPhone sucks for you, because you're asking the phone to do something no other iPod ever does (no iPod will play music via a computer that is essentially not the computer you sync your library with I believe) then you are asking too much.

9. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

if you need headphones then why don't you listen to your music off your phone????

anyways, it seems that nothing is going to please you and your **** out of luck.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Some people make simple things way too complicated :D

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

slow day in trollville?
    This is nothing new. iPods have never been able to do this.

12. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

13. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Or you could get yourself a free hex editor and change one line in your itunes account on your work computer so you can now sync with the work and home. Once you have it synced, (make sure you disable the auto sync), You will see your iphone's playlists, songs etc.

But better yet.. why don't you just plug the headphones in to your iphone and listen that way. Get an extra power cable and have it plugged in so you don't wear down the batter and you are good to go. No reason to go through your laptop or any other computer for that matter if you do it this way.

As far as I know you can only sync your iphone to one computer and one computer only. Unless you do the above hack with a hex editor.