I ask for advice...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by and 4096 others like this, Apr 19, 2018.

1. and 4096 others like this macrumors member

and 4096 others like this

I have opportunity to buy new Apple Watch (Original/Series 0) - Stainless Steel for $230

I know it's old device in terms of how fast Series 3 is, but I want to buy it as a gift. It's for person which will use it as a regular watch, notifications and heart rate.

Is it still good enough or will it lag a lot? Do you think, Apple will support it with OS5?

2. honglong1976 macrumors 65816

honglong1976

3. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I’d rather get the stainless steel Series 1 for $300.

4. and 4096 others like this thread starter macrumors member

I have no such option. In my country Steel Series 1 cost ~$420 I would rather buy standard series 3

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

The S0 is out of date, is slow and very limited now with heart rate functionality compared to newer watches. It definitely won't see watchOS 5. The fact that Apple is replacing broken S0 with S1 shows that they are not even refurbishing them as much anymore.

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I don't know what country you're in, but you might want to check the Marketplace here in the forums to find a better deal.

7. Relentless Power, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Did Apple _specifically_ state somewhere that the first generation Apple Watch won’t be supported with watchOS 5? I would be interested in reading your self generated claim. I’m Not saying it’s not certainly possible that watchOS 5 won’t be supported, but exactly how do you know that based on what evidence?

Apple issuing Series one Apple Watches over the first generation Apple Watch has been prevalent for quite some time, its not just in the sense that they are not refurbishing them, but also indicates they have more than enough stock of Series one replacement Apple Watches, which is unnecessary labor for Apple to repair first generation Apple Watches when They can simply have an expedited turnaround and issue a Series One quicker to the customer.

8. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

It's a big risk buying it, given it's so old. It might be supported with watchOS 5, but it's still quite slow.

9. klymr macrumors 65816

I wasn't aware Apple made a Series 1 in stainless steel. I thought they were all aluminum.

10. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I would find it very difficult to recommend purchase of the S0 to anyone at any price (maybe to use as a second device for sleep tracking). You can pretty easily find a used/refurb S1 for for around $200-$230. And if price is a major concern and would like to get something more in the $150 range, then honestly I'd recommend looking at fitbit or something rather than a S0. It's been fine for the past 3 years, but for the budget consumer, it likely won't have much longevity looking forward to the next 3 years...

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple does not manufacture a Series 1 Apple Watch in stainless. Series 1 is only offered in aluminum. Others inadvertently mislabel/misconstrue the Series 1 and first generation Apple Watch quite frequently.

12. klymr macrumors 65816

Right. But folks in this very thread are saying don't buy the S0 stainless steel and get a Series 1 in stainless steel instead. I was merely pointing out that those don't exist. Perhaps they are referring to the Series 2 in stainless steel?

13. Relentless Power, Apr 19, 2018

Relentless Power

Again, there is no Series 1 stainless. Other members are Incorrectly labeling the Series one Apple Watch, what they mean by “Stainless Series 1” is actually the first generation Apple Watch offered in stainless. Its merely a Misconception the way they are Saying it, even though they mean something else.

As follows:

First Gen (2015) Apple Watch: Offered in Stainless, 18K Gold/Rose Gold and aluminum.

Series 1: Offered only in Aluminum.

Series 2: Offered in aluminum, Ceramic and stainless.

Series 3: Offered in aluminum, Ceramic and stainless.

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Why do you bother asking a question you know the answer to? watchOS 5 isn't even real at the moment.

It follows the identical patterns of macOS and iOS. watchOS 4 gave the S0 watch a watered down version. Once OS versions start to get watered down its their last one. Its been this way for decades.

15. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So you don’t answer the question then exactly how you know what you stated definitively below, because you have no supporting evidence:

Again, I’m not asking for your opinion, I asked how you _specifically_ stated watchOS 5 won’t be supported, and your reply is “Why do you bother asking a question you know the answer to?” Aside from side skirting and deflecting, you’re basically saying you have no way of knowing what you posted, only that you interjected some anecdotal estimate. Thanks for the discussion.

16. klymr, Apr 19, 2018

klymr macrumors 65816

Correct, the Series 1 only comes in aluminum. I've now said that three times. I know exactly what materials the various versions of Apple Watch are made of, but thanks for telling me again.

I'll repeat myself and we'll see if you can understand what I'm saying:

First, a 4096 others like this asked if they should, "buy new Apple Watch (Original/Series 0) - Stainless Steel for $230."

Next, honglong1976 said, "No, buy a Series 1." (I can only assume he meant to the aluminum model...because...that's all that Apple has ever made the Series 1 out of.)

Following that, willmtaylor stated, "I’d rather get the stainless steel Series 1 for $300." (You and I both know that doesn't exist, and they clearly were't talking about getting the original Apple Watch in stainless steel, because the OP was asking about buying an original in stainless steel for $230, so why suggest buying the same thing for $300?)

After that, a 4096 others like this followed up and said, "In my country Steel Series 1 cost ~$420...." (Clearly they weren't talking about the original Apple Watch because they already asked about buying the original Apple Watch in stainless steel for $230, so why suddenly say they cost $420?)
    And all of that above is why I asked if they were possibly mistaking the Series 2 in stainless steel with the Series 1—because both Series 1 and Series 2 were released at the same time. Did I clear that up enough?

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

sheesh, can I call foul on the pedantic MR crowd above? The whole lot of you....

18. Relentless Power, Apr 19, 2018

Relentless Power

Since you’re off on your own tangent and appear to be genuinely confused of what other members postings and interpetations are, even after its been explained to you how it’s been commonly [misconstrued] frequently between various Apple Watch models, why don’t you _specifically_ address those members of what specific model they are inferring? That way, you don’t have to consistently second guess yourself and they can provide you the direct answers you’re seeking, even though it’s already been elaborated to you, given it still doesn’t appear to answer your question.

19. klymr, Apr 19, 2018

klymr macrumors 65816

I don't know why you always have to post with such a condescending tone, but I will do as you request of me.

You were referring to an aluminum Series 1 Apple Watch, correct?

Which model of Apple Watch did you mean specifically, because Apple never has made a Series 1 in stainless steel as Relentless Power has graciously pointed out. The OP asked about buying an "Original/Series 0" stainless steel for $70 less than what you suggested, so it wouldn't make sense to suggest the same model for more.

You clearly aren't saying that an original steel Apple Watch is $420 because you already asked if you should buy one for $230. The Series 1 was only made in aluminum (thank you again Relentless Power), so which model were you referring to being $420 in your country?

EDIT: If it helps, here's a page Apple has put together describing what materials each model is made from. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204507

20. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Personally, I'd recommend the OP just buy a Series 1 in stainless steal. Much better deal IMO.

21. klymr macrumors 65816

:D

22. and 4096 others like this thread starter macrumors member

You are right, I made a mistake. The 420$ Apple Watch is not Series 1. Thank you for telling me that.

I will give a try aluminium version (Series 2). I know it doesn't look as cool as Steel version, but have much more power and features :)

23. klymr macrumors 65816

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. I did this wrong, didn't I? Let me try again...

Exactly what Apple Watch model were you referring to, as Apple doesn't make a Series 1 in stainless steel?

24. rugmankc macrumors 68000

rugmankc

OP--to answer your original question--

I am testing my son's old SS S0 to see if I like the AW's

I use it as a watch, messages, and use it with HeartWatch and Cardiogram. Both apps on Apple Store. I notice no big slowdown with those three areas. Messages may take a few seconds longer too send in some cases. But, is not an issue.

The SS with Saphire screen is excellent. Looks new.

Whether it is worth 230.00 is a decision you need to make--