I ate my words (Apple Watch)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bingeciren, Feb 9, 2016.

1. bingeciren macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I was very negative about the Apple Watch right from the beginning, you may even call it being prejudiced. I thought it was a product that I would never use it and never even saw the point to own one.

Well, last week I was waiting for my wife at a shopping mall in front of an Apple Store. While killing time, I went in and took a look at Apple Watches again and suddenly decided to buy the cheapest sports model to give it a try. I told the guy at the store that I was going to play with it and if I don't like it, I could give it to my wife anyway.

The salesman grinned and said, you will like it so much that you'll come back and get one for your wife as well. I said, yea sure and grinned back.

My iPhone was jailbroken just to run two specific programs. Notifier +, which periodically reminds me audibly if I have a missed call or a message and the other program is the Intelliscreen, which puts all sorts of information like weather, messages, emails and phone calls on the locked screen so that I can see and respond to all of them without unlocking the phone.

With the Apple Watch suddenly it became next to impossible to miss a call or a message and all the information that I had it on my iPhone's locked screen was at my wrist.

So, I ended up updating my IOS to 9.2.1 and got rid of the JB.

Suddenly my iPhone became so much more useful without the need to have the JB programs. However, once I found out that I could respond to calls and messages from my wrist without the need to run across the room to get to my phone, I was convinced that I misjudged the Apple Watch.

In the end, the salesman at the Apple Store was right. Two days later we were at an Apple Store to pick an Apple Watch for my wife as well.

I admit being wrong about the Apple Watch.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It really is one of those products that you can do without....until you've actually used it for the one or two unique use cases everyone has. Then suddenly you can't live without it.

3. Thai, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016

Thai macrumors 6502a

Thai

That's the key i keep telling people...try it out for 2 weeks since Apple's refund policy is great. If you don't like it, then return it.

I love my watch!

4. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

You're ahead of me, because I still can't convince my wife to want her own Watch. :-D

5. bingeciren thread starter macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

Women are notorious for having hand bags that they can't find anything in them quickly, even if that happens to be a ringing phone. Tell your wife that with Apple Watch she doesn't even have to search her bag to answer her phone. :)

6. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I hope you didn't pay full price. Target is selling the sport model for $100 less than apple right now.

7. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

She often has her phone plugged in by the bed, and she (well, I.. lol) have to go check it when a message comes in. I've gently reminded her how, if she had an AW, she'd know more easily whether the notification is worth a response. ;)

8. redman042 macrumors 68020

Nice story. Like the iPhone and iPad when they were first introduced, the benefit and cost justification of the watch isn't obvious at first. And not everything worked perfectly out of the gate. But it grows on you and, with some use, the benefits become clear. I've owned my watch since last June. Started with a Sport. Realized within a week that the handling of notifications, alarms, alerts, weather, Siri, and telling time were big hits for me and a great new way to access my phone hands-free. I quickly traded up for the stainless steel because it was worth it to me. 9 months and three OS updates later, I've decided to treat myself to a genuine link bracelet. This watch is going to stay on my wrist for a long time (or at least until a compelling upgrade is released) and I wanted it to look and feel great. It's like a whole new watch! Good stuff.

9. Easttime macrumors 6502

Similar here. Wife said go ahead and get one. So guiltily I did. Now use it all day, morning to night. Happy with the Sport though.

10. bingeciren thread starter macrumors 6502a

bingeciren

I debated between the stainless black and the sports black and decided to get the sports black for three reasons: 1) lightness, 2) matte finish, 3) price.

The watch is so light that I hardly feel it on my wrist. Although I'm used to wearing heavy watches, wearing a lightweight watch for a change is a pleasant experience.

11. pika2000 macrumors 68030

It's pretty much the basic concept of utility for a smart watch. Having notification on you at all times as you are wearing it.
    I had the same mindset as I stopped wearing watches the minute I had a cellphone. Then I bought the Moto 360, and I find it extremely useful as I don't need to keep checking my phone for notification. Too bad Android wear is not as well integrated on iOS as Apple watch (for obvious reasons). Waiting to see what the second revision of Apple watch will be like.