I ate through my dataplan in 10 minutes!?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by omvs, Sep 27, 2014.

1. omvs macrumors 6502

Earlier today I updated my iphone 5S to 8.0.2. A few hours later I went out for a 15 minute drive today, I used iTunes Radio to listen to some music. I noticed my phone was getting pretty hot -- I thought it was the GPS stuck on and it was draining things.

Then a few minutes later I got a text saying I used 65% of my dataplan this month. Thought that was odd. A few minutes after that I got a text saying I used up 100% of my data! Whoa - so I immediately turned the phone off until I got back home and was on WiFi.

Before the update I had deleted my music to make room for the update. Would it have started trying to pull it back when i fired up the iTunes app?

I'd like to make sure I don't blow through another 1G next time I go out, but don't want to completely disable cell data either...

Any suggestions?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Turn off the cellular option for music.

Settings / iTunes & App Store / Cellular

3. Rigby macrumors 601

Have you checked the by-app data usage under Cellular to make sure it's actually the Music app that used all that data?

4. omvs thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, good idea.

Says 5.2G of Music. Granted those stats are probably pretty old since AT&T says I only burnt through 2.1G in the 10 days this period, but Music is by far the largest. The next one is "Media Services" under System Services. That was 1.2G - any idea what that is?

For now I've disabled Music for the cell data - disables iTunes radio in the car, but at least I can still use GPS & such. Wish I knew why it went crazy earlier...

5. fort macrumors member

Yes. This. It was trying to sync your music.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

Weird. Sounds like it was trying tp download all your music instead of just streaming what you wanted to play. How did you previously delete the music?

Perhaps try to let it do its thing in a Wifi network for a while. Once it has downloaded everything it wants, it should be safe to turn cellular data back on for music.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Using GPS on your phone will still use cellular data.