I attend the university of phoenix

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chela77, Aug 12, 2010.

1. chela77 macrumors newbie

and my main want/need from an ipad is, the ability to download my chapters and read them on the go from my ipad. I want to know that even without an internet connection available that I can read all of my required work. Is this possible? Th:pank you

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

well if you have them saved on your ipad, i dont see why you would need an internet connection to view them.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Yep, you can email the documents as PDF to yourself and open with iBooks.

4. chela77 thread starter macrumors newbie

awesome thank you! I know once they were downloaded I would not need internet, just wanted to make sure I could get them downloaded for later viewing. I'm very happy to hear this too thanks again!

5. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

A buddy of mine uses the GoodReader app. He loves it and it is only 99¢

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

GoodReader is great. I use it in conjunction with iAnnotate to read my PDF's.

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

You should be OK..

GoodReader to read, and iAnnotate if you need to write annotations over the PDFs. If you need to actually take notes in class, there are several products to choose from:
    Noterize,
    Penultima, etc.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Wow, this thread got seriously modsmacked!

I'll repeat it here that MOST of the UofP PDF's are DRM locked and ONLY usable using the Adobe Reader software application, which isn't available on the iPad or any other i-Device for that matter, and likely never will be given the Apple/Adobe warfare.

This is a fact that has been discussed many times on a number of forums (easily proven via a Google search), confirmed on the official Apple support forums AND confirmed by UofP's tech support group.

Some of UofP's PDF's are NOT locked and these should work fine. Those that are, you are SOL if you try to access them via the iPad.

9. robert.k macrumors newbie

10. edjrwinnt macrumors member

Thanks for sharing. I was emailing back and forth with this company asking them when this would be available. They've had it ready for a while but they were trying to get it through the Apple Certification process. They even sent me screen shots to show that it works. I'm going to get it for my next class that uses password protected PDF's.

11. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

The University of Florida MBA programs comes with an iPad and laptop (of course you pay) just for the reason you are wanting it.

It is becoming a common thing. Lectures on the go!

12. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

+1 for this app.

works great with a few of the mags i get in pdf format. i have a few books from o'reilly as well that are awesome via GR on the ipad.

13. slopokdave macrumors member

Uopx just released their iOS app yesterday too. It's not iPad specific though so it scales up....

14. wntrdove macrumors newbie

My final class at UoP I used Goodreader for all of my reading. I loved being able to download PDFs through the built in downloader rather than needing to download them on my mac and uploading them through iTunes.

IIRC, while you're in a class the PDFs for assigned chapters are not locked and you shouldn't have any problem with Goodreader (the locked chapters show a little lock next to them so this should be easy for you to verify). If you want to read unassigned chapters or go and download chapters from past classes you may run into a little trouble.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I have an education book from thePoint that is offered in a PDF/Flash that I want to view on my iPad. I can do it with iSwiter but it's not very easy/good. Will PDF Reader Pro Edition allow me to view it?