I baby my MBA way too much

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jvmxtra, Jul 9, 2012.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Sometimes it just gets in the way of using it.. seriously.. am I the only one? I constantly when I am not using it, I am putting them in the sleeve.. even when I am at my own house.. is this crazy or what?

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

No. It's a good habit to take care of your stuff.

3. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Trust me in a few years you'll be tossing it on the floor, sneezing on the screen, and wiping your boogers on it.

This is how it always is when you have something new. After a while you start to get rough with it, forgetting it's aesthetics and using it in a more utilitarian manner.

4. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

MBA is much more robust then it looks. My wife mistreats the daylights out of her 2010 MBA 11"... wipe it down with a damp towel, and it looks brand new. Never been in a case, the bottom has no scratches on it. Babying is not required.

I was so impressed by the durability, I bought myself a 2012 MBA 12.

5. AlanShutko macrumors 6502a

I remember shocking some coworkers by tossing my laptop bag (literally) into the back of the car. Yes, it's fine. I don't use a sleeve, I use a fairly thin Vaja bag (not padded to the hilt) and it holds up. I love not having a spinning disk.

6. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

The first year in college I had my Powerbook I was really careful with it. I hated when people touched it and I never ate food around it.

After the first year is when things changed. I started to throw it on my bed and then a bunch of books on top of that.

Then my 'shift' key also broke a few years back while I was snapping off my keys to clean under the keyboard. I superglued it back on and got some glue on the keyboard. It still comes off sometimes and I just snap it back into place.

3 years ago, I lost all 4 rubber feet so now my laptop scratches any table surface I drag it across.

I have about 8 hairline scratches on the aluminum casing.

And I haven't bothered to wipe my screen with anything in 3 years probably.

Yet despite all this, it's held up fine. In fact I'm using it right now.

7. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Why tear it up unnecessarily. Putting in a sleeve seems like common sense to me. Maybe thats why my 2yr old Air doesn't have a mark on it, yet I don't consider it babied.

8. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

9. digitalhen macrumors regular

I hear you - I wouldn't worry about it at home, but I can understand you being a bit iffy when you're out and about.

I've got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Speck-SeeThru-Aubergine-Releases-SPK-A0361/dp/B004PAQ7MG/ref=pd_sbs_a_8 (in orange)

With it on, you just won't care about beating the crap out of it.

10. jojoba macrumors 68000

I do the same. I want to keep this thing for a while.

11. silverjam macrumors regular

12. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Is there a good booger remover that you use and can recommend?

13. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

I want to get a keyboard/screen protector
    Not one of those rubber keyboard protectors but like a cloth for when the lid is closed
    I did find the radtech screensavrz but with shipping from the US to the uk its a bit expensive ($22)
    Is there anything else similar?

14. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

Are you talking about removing the booger from your nose or your computer?

Nose: your finger.

Computer: your palm.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I was like that at first with my 13" MBP. Kept being really careful around it for several months, then I noticed the 4 rubber feet underneath had started to wear a little and I thought f it, I'm not realistically going to be able to keep it pristine. I'm not a complete idiot with it now, but I am a little more care-free and will throw it onto the bed or accidentally scrape it against something when moving it but these are superflous things really. These unibodies really hold up well.

16. chaosbringer macrumors member

chaosbringer

I went with a Crumpler The Slip, bought it from ebay for 5.99 GBP (13" version).

Check it out:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crumpler-...Networking&hash=item1e6f9b854c#ht_1942wt_1165

17. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

You should see Korean MBA users. Or Korean MacBook users, period. There is a substantial number of users make absolutely sure that the battery cycle count stays as low as possible.

Makes you wonder why they got a laptop...

Disclaimer: I'm Korean

18. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

19. chaosbringer macrumors member

chaosbringer

My bad, didn't check out your sig, Crumpler does make more sizes but can't find the smaller one's online. Amazon.com does have the radtech one for 11" Air but the price sucks.:mad:

20. torana355 macrumors 68020

Mine sits on my bedside table and only goes in my sleeve when i take it somewhere out of the house. The good thing about the MBA is that they are not to expensive so just have fun with it.

21. mober macrumors newbie

This whole discussion remindes me of those how keep their plastic foil on their cellphones for 2 years straight to prevent it from being scratched. After 2 months they barely can see anything anymore under the totally washed out plastic cover, but they keep if up until they replace their phone. When they replace their phones, they remove the plastic cover because NOW they don't need protection anymore. bottomline. they toss a brand new looking phone, which they have used the past 2 years looking horrible under the plastic cover...

Makes no sense to me whatsoever! Just use your stuff without being overcarefull all the time!

I grin always when I see people with those humongous iphone/macbook protection kits for up to 200$ that make your device look like crap and unhandy. Feeding and totally worhtless industry like the mac supplier is common sense...

I never had any protection for any device I used, never broke one either. And even if I did, I don't believe that some random plastic shell would have protected it from being broke anyway.

just my 2 cents.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

I used to do that. A few years ago, I stopped and haven't looked back. That said, I do have a sleeve for my 11" Air that I'll use when I carry it in my luggage, and a keyboard cover that I use when I'm on an airplane or have liquid nearby (I had a spill episode once).

23. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

No problem buddy thanks for your suggestion anyway

24. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank