I backed up leopard and have a problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dukebound85, Nov 29, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so i backed up my leopard dvd using disk utilities with DVD/CD master and no encryption used for the image and burned at lowest rate possible

i burned it to a Memorex DVD+R DL and yet my macbook wont recognize it and spits it out

however, the machine i burned it on will recognize it and mount it just like the orginal install disk

any ideas on why my macbook wont? i know the mb cant write to dl dvd's but should be able to read them right?

i should add i can also boot into the backup dvd on the computer i burned it on

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Does your macbook successfully read other DL DVD disks that you've burned from the same machine? And if so, were those other DL DVDs burned with a single file that was large enough that it had to span both layers? In other words, I'm thinking that it might be possible that your macbook's optical drive has difficulty reading both layers of a dual layer dvd. Maybe.

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

it can read the original leopard disk which is dual layer

as far as other dl disk ive burned, this was the first one. is it possible my mb cant read this type of disk (dvd+r dl)? while maybe reading whatever apple used for theirs (dvd-r dl maybe??)?

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

If it's the current unibody MB, then the tech specs says it can read both.

Maximum read: 8x DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-ROM; 6x DVD-ROM (double layer DVD-9), DVD-R DL (double layer), DVD+R DL (double layer), DVD-RW, and DVD+RW; 24x CD

http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

If it's an earlier model, use the wayback machine to go to the old version of Apple's site and check the tech specs for the earlier model that you have. Out of curiosity, how do you know that the Apple installer disk is DL?

EDIT:
    I notice that DL rewritable isn't on that list, so if the disk you're using is a DL DVDRW then it won't read it.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

my macbook is a first gen from July 2006 with superdrive.

as far as knowing the apple installer disk is DL, I just figured it is since the image is 7.5 gigs which would imply DL. plus it is to my understanding, all movies are on DL disks pretty much and my mb has no problem playing them

no, im not using a DLRW as the price would be insane!

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Yup, that's too big to be single layer DVD.

I'm not too familiar with how commercial dvd movies are formatted, but that sounds plausible.

Check the wayback machine and find the tech specs from Apple's old site for your generation MB to see if it reads DL DVDR disks.

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

thats a sweet site lol

anyways, this is what it says
    so it should be able to

here is whats weird as i just tried it. it can detect an blank DVD+R DL from the same spindle but not the one I burned

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It's written in a kind of unclear manner. Here's the way I read what that says;

So as I read it, it says it reads DL DVD+R, but not DL DVD-R. You said your disk is a plus right? So it should read that no problem. Maybe there's just a problem with the particular disk you burned. Did it verify correctly?

9. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

yea it verified and it works on my other computer so if it wasn't good, it shouldnt read on that one either right?

is memorex just a bad brand maybe?

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

there's not much else I can't tell you, maybe someone else might have more info. If I were in your position, I'd try burning a bunch of different disks under different conditions and see what works and what doesn't. I'd try burning another disk the same way but with smaller files rather than a single file that spans both layers, I'd try using the same blank disks but burned by a different computer, I'd try a different brand of disk in the same computer,etc. That way you'll find out where the problem is.

Good luck.

11. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

seems its Ritek (who makes the DVD's) that sucks and is well known in the industry

reviews on the same disks from circuit city
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/ExpandedModule.do?oid=199231&callingModule=9#custRatings

that's. just. peachy....

i guess do not buy Memorex DL discs as everyone in the Club CDFreaks forum says Verbaitem is the God of DL disks

i wonder if i have grounds to return these. what you think?

edit: my brother's macbook from fall 2007 reads it just fine but my dad's mbp from 2006 doesn't either. whats going on??