I badly need your opinion on a job interview!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by speida, Feb 21, 2008.

1. speida macrumors newbie

Hi

So this is the thing: I had an interview for a specific job, last friday. On Monday I got contacted saying I didn't succeed on that interview, however they offered me to have an interview for another job within the same company.

They told me (via email) that they will contact me "over the next week or so".

What does that actually mean? I'm really looking forward to this interview but I don't quite understand until when I should wait for them to contact me to make an appointment. I mean I don't get why it takes so long to schedule to go in and have the interview.

I might be really nervous, probably, but I still don't quite understand the limits of that phrase.

Thanks a lot!

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I hate to say it, but they might be trying to schedule several interviews for the same day. Hopefully you will hear from them, but I wouldn't quit looking for a job while you wait. Good luck.

3. speida thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I understand, and that's what I've been thinking as well. But I don't really care about that, as I will try my best to impress them, an to tell you the truth if I'm really good it doesn't matter if I will be alone or not at the interview, they get people who fit in the job.

I'm still looking for places around in the meantime of course. However i was trying to understand when I should contact them to see what is happening.

Thanks

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Don't read too much into it, because it's hard to tell what the internal situation is. Most likely the person with whom you interviewed is not in a position to interview or hire you for the other position. The other person you'll be interviewing with might be on vacation, have a tight interview schedule already, or might just not be ready to start interviewing people yet. No way to tell.

If you haven't yet sent a thank-you message for the interview you already had, send that message now. Thank them for the opportunity to interview, say you're sorry you couldn't fill their criteria for the original position, and express your interest in hearing from them regarding the other opportunity.

Otherwise, continue with your job search as if you hadn't received the email and wait for them to contact you. They stated an exact time period, so if they haven't followed through after a week, send them a polite note expressing (or reaffirming) interest and asking if the possibility still exists.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

While they were somewhat uncommitted on a time "over the next week or so" I agree that you should wait at least a week before calling. You might want to even wait 10 days. Good luck.

6. speida thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your replies guys, really :)

I was thinking to wait till tuesday afternoon to send an email saying what Galfin suggested :)

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

if you had not heard anything in a week email contact them back and ask for an update.

Most annoying thing about interviews is the waiting game and trying to get companies to contact you back.

8. Stardotboy macrumors regular

Some helpful responses here already that I would agree with. My philosophy when approaching situations like this is very much to hope for the best but plan for the worst. Follow up with them after a week if you've not heard from them to express your interest, but don't stop looking for other jobs in the meantime just because there's a chance this will turn out well. As you've said yourself what they've communicated to you is very vague (intentionally or unintentionally) so you'd do the right thing to not read too much into it.

Good luck with finding the right job :)

9. speida thread starter macrumors newbie

Well.. kinda bad news :(.. I've just been told from a guy that the person from the Recruitment department left the company, so I just sent an email to explain my position and to understand what was going on.
    Hopefully I will hear something soon, I hope.

10. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

You should spend the effort you're now putting into pursuing this job into finding another job.