I believe my storage numbers are wrong

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slickrr1, Nov 15, 2012.

1. slickrr1 macrumors newbie

Hello, im new to that Mac world. I have a 500gb hard drive that is all most full and I really dont have alot of stuff on my computer. I have around 50 movies and when I do a storage check it says I have 323gb of movies which I know is not right. I downloaded CCleaner from the app store and it freed up about 5 gigs. I also downloaded Find Space from the app store and the info it is giving me is different from the info I get from the storage check...Not sure what to do next...

2. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

I use an app called "whatsize" to tell me what is taking up the space, I would recommend you to try it

http://whatsizemac.com/

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I use a program called DaisyDisk to see how all my storage is being used. It will show you which folders are using the most space, what kinds of files they are, etc. It can help you track down anything that might be using a large amount of space, and you can figure out what to do from there.

4. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: file sizes...

Hi all,

Personally, I like the Terminal "find" command for listing all files above a certain size. But barring that, I like the GrandPerspective.app for a visualization of file sizes on your disk. One look and you can point to the largest files and see which ones they are. (I'm not familiar with DaisyDisk or whatsize, so GrandPerspective is probably just another alternative to these.) The "find" command of course produces an output list that can be sorted by size and then used by other routines. (Come to think of it, the GrandPerspective app is probably not much more than a visualization of the output of the find command.)

...just an idea...

Switon

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I use an app called OmniDiskSweeper to see what is taking up my storage space. Lots of different alternatives out there, just use one and it should break it down for you.

From the sounds of it, you might have duplicates of your movies if the size of them is that big.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That movies number is likely wrong. Reindex Spotlight my putting Macintosh HD in the Spotlight Privacy pane then removing it. After the reindex you should see the movie number is correct. This is a bug in Mountain Lion.

7. slickrr1 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmmm

I use the app to tell me what files take up the most amount of space and it seems to be right..But when you check your storage on your hard drive using about this computer that is what dont make sense. If you add all the numbers up it don't add up to be the same.... But I just though of something I didnt take in to consideration. I have alot of home made videos in iPhoto that contributes to that high movie number. It still seems kind of high though....