Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Hahaha. I paid like fifty bucks for this app. I wonder how many people are buying this app now that Google Maps has voice navigation

I'm actually wondering how many people are buying any GPS app. They are expensive as the units themselves, at around $30-$60. Google Maps and Waze are amazing turn-by-turn, and Apple Maps does work fine (for me at least :p)

MacRumorsUser said:
However its also an undeniable fact that all iOS pirates do indeed Jailbreak.

False. There are programs to fakesign on Mac, and there are services that do it for Windows. Both without jailbreaking.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm actually wondering how many people are buying any GPS app. They are expensive as the units themselves, at around $30-$60. Google Maps and Waze are amazing turn-by-turn, and Apple Maps does work fine (for me at least :p)

Actually I bought navigon back in 2009 when it first came out and was one of the first turn by turn gps apps for the iphone.
It was well worth the money. I used it and still use it for many years. It got tons of updates and also I installed it on a few other iphones on my family plan so it was money well spend.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Actually I bought navigon back in 2009 when it first came out and was one of the first turn by turn gps apps for the iphone.
It was well worth the money. I used it and still use it for many years. It got tons of updates and also I installed it on a few other iphones on my family plan so it was money well spend.

My brother bought that and installed it on my device for me. It was by far my favorite map apps, maybe of all time (including dedicated units) until I found Waze, and Google maps is in the top 3 too.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

I remember paying 250 for my nuvi back in 2008! Are dedicated gps devices really 30-60 nowadays?

In 2010, I bought Navigon and the interface was som much better on a device I always had with me

I still prefer it to waze/maps/gmaps as they are local on the device

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
maybe they decided to leave the discussion on going for once, interesting views and opnions in any case.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I remember paying 250 for my nuvi back in 2008! Are dedicated gps devices really 30-60 nowadays?

In 2010, I bought Navigon and the interface was som much better on a device I always had with me

I hear you.
I like maps saved locally too instead of downloading as you go.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I thought warez threads weren't tolerated here, and yet we have a 5 page thread on it.

"Because this isn't "warez". No jailbreakers "pirate". It's all about, um, customization... ya... that's it! Widgets!

No one would ever take advantage of stealing paid apps. People only jailbreak because they don't like the control Apple is exercising and want to break free so they can change the font on their clock!"

If you believe the jailbreakers you'd think that was true. If you even mention the MAIN reason for jailbreaking (read: not the ONLY reason, but the MAIN reason) is for outright theft, they instantly get VERY defensive and act like they have never even heard of pirating...

It's because the jailbreakers rationalize the theft of developers ip as "ok because it doesn't hurt anyone" and because they can claim (falsely in most cases) that they own a copy of the SNES ROM they are using on their emulators.

It's hogwash, and were it not for PIRATING almost no one would jailbreak. Sure there would be a handful, but this past 3 months has been a perfect example: most users have moved on to a non-jailbroken product and now the pirating AND jailbreaking scene is dying.

They can claim it's not all they want, but we'll be at 7.0 before they "crack" 6.0 (at least for public release, as they are probably being paid a lot of money under the table to keep their exploits under wraps). Don't believe me? What would you do if you were Apple? I would just buy the handful of people that come UP with the jailbreak (because no one else can... look at GeoHot for example) and be done with it. They have, and they are.

Pirating is harder now. Sorry.

JrFreak

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
I don't think so. Most I know who have jailbroke also pirated. Just speaking from personal experience

False, most who jailbreak did it to be able to customize their springboard and to use improved apps for SMS and social media.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
"Because this isn't "warez". No jailbreakers "pirate". It's all about, um, customization... ya... that's it! Widgets!

No one would ever take advantage of stealing paid apps. People only jailbreak because they don't like the control Apple is exercising and want to break free so they can change the font on their clock!"

If you believe the jailbreakers you'd think that was true. If you even mention the MAIN reason for jailbreaking (read: not the ONLY reason, but the MAIN reason) is for outright theft, they instantly get VERY defensive and act like they have never even heard of pirating...

It's because the jailbreakers rationalize the theft of developers ip as "ok because it doesn't hurt anyone" and because they can claim (falsely in most cases) that they own a copy of the SNES ROM they are using on their emulators.

It's hogwash, and were it not for PIRATING almost no one would jailbreak. Sure there would be a handful, but this past 3 months has been a perfect example: most users have moved on to a non-jailbroken product and now the pirating AND jailbreaking scene is dying.

They can claim it's not all they want, but we'll be at 7.0 before they "crack" 6.0 (at least for public release, as they are probably being paid a lot of money under the table to keep their exploits under wraps). Don't believe me? What would you do if you were Apple? I would just buy the handful of people that come UP with the jailbreak (because no one else can... look at GeoHot for example) and be done with it. They have, and they are.

Your second sentence is a gross misrepresentation of the arguments made in this thread. Frankly it only stirs the pot and contributes nothing to honest conversation. No one is going to claim that "no jailbrakers pirate."

I can infer from your phrasing and typesetting that you're rather worked up over this issue. Far from an argument, it sounds like a rant.

There are certainly people (even in this thread) who will try to justify pirating. There are certainly people who jailbreak for the sole purpose of pirating. However, all these generalized assertions on the motivations for jailbreaking are really quite unfounded and unhelpful. Further, whether the majority of jailbreakers do so in order to pirate is immaterial. A jailbroken device is neither necessary nor sufficient to pirate an app. I appreciate your distaste for pirates, but please don't conflate jailbreakers and pirates.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Your second sentence is a gross misrepresentation of the arguments made in this thread. Frankly it only stirs the pot and contributes nothing to honest conversation. No one is going to claim that "no jailbrakers pirate."

I can infer from your phrasing and typesetting that you're rather worked up over this issue. Far from an argument, it sounds like a rant.

There are certainly people (even in this thread) who will try to justify pirating. There are certainly people who jailbreak for the sole purpose of pirating. However, all these generalized assertions on the motivations for jailbreaking are really quite unfounded and unhelpful. Further, whether the majority of jailbreakers do so in order to pirate is immaterial. A jailbroken device is neither necessary nor sufficient to pirate an app. I appreciate your distaste for pirates, but please don't conflate jailbreakers and pirates.

And your whole post illustrates my point. Jailbreakers pretend that pirating isn't the single largest reason FOR jailbreaking. It's WHY jailbreaking in it's current form is as popular as it is...

You'd have a REALLY hard time convincing more than a handful of people that it was worth voiding their warranty (Apple's stance, not mine, and not that it isn't easy to cover up) to have a few extra notifications, widgets, and tethering that could get you in hot water with your carrier (as in losing your unlimited plan FOREVER (it's happened)).

But, toss in PIRATING thousands of dollars worth of paid apps, and all of a sudden it becomes much more worth it to certain people (thiefs).

Deny it all you want, but PIRACY is what made jailbreaking everything it is.

Sure it has other uses... and I read Playboy for the articles...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
And your whole post illustrates my point. Jailbreakers pretend that pirating isn't the single largest reason FOR jailbreaking. It's WHY jailbreaking in it's current form is as popular as it is...

You'd have a REALLY hard time convincing more than a handful of people that it was worth voiding their warranty (Apple's stance, not mine, and not that it isn't easy to cover up) to have a few extra notifications, widgets, and tethering that could get you in hot water with your carrier (as in losing your unlimited plan FOREVER (it's happened)).

But, toss in PIRATING thousands of dollars worth of paid apps, and all of a sudden it becomes much more worth it to certain people (thiefs).

Deny it all you want, but PIRACY is what made jailbreaking everything it is.

Sure it has other uses... and I read Playboy for the articles...

I can't see how on earth my post proves your "point." It seems like you didn't even read it.

Well your mind is certainly made up, and nothing I do or say will get thoughtful consideration from you. Don't criticize what you (apparently) can't understand.

For the record, I'm not a jailbraker, which you've implicitly assumed.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

Last year my uncle bought a Nuvi for I think $80 at Best Buy. I would still rather the app at $60 on a device I always have.

I thought warez threads weren't tolerated here, and yet we have a 5 page thread on it.

Threads asking where to get and how to obtain isn't tolerated. Rational discussion of current events in the warez world is I guess.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Last year my uncle bought a Nuvi for I think $80 at Best Buy. I would still rather the app at $60 on a device I always have.

Threads asking where to get and how to obtain isn't tolerated. Rational discussion of current events in the warez world is I guess.

Totally. The UI is so much mor pleasant on the iPhone. 60 is on the high end too as I know often times, the Navigon US maps are on sale for 30, so all the better! and annual updtaed maps, unlike the dedicated ones

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
Totally. The UI is so much mor pleasant on the iPhone. 60 is on the high end too as I know often times, the Navigon US maps are on sale for 30, so all the better! and annual updtaed maps, unlike the dedicated ones

I like the interface of almost all the map apps. They do quite a nice job in that section. But I would rather use a free one like waze than pay $30 for an app. They both get the job done, but if Waze ever got removed and I couldn't fakesign it on my phone, I would probably use Navigon.

Isn't this much nicer talk than piracy? :p

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I think this thread is kind of funny. Here I am sitting with un-jailbreakable iOS devices and yet I have a bunch of Cydia apps--which I paid for--that I cannot even use. Who got robbed again?

Michael

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
I think this thread is kind of funny. Here I am sitting with un-jailbreakable iOS devices and yet I have a bunch of Cydia apps--which I paid for--that I cannot even use. Who got robbed again?

Michael

That's actually why I'm a bit uneasy about investing a lot of money in the Cydia store, because of the uncertaintly of jailbreaking. Hopefully poisxninja's work goes well.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010

This rant reminds me of an argument I got into with a cheerleader back in highschool over marijuana. She had absolutely no idea what the hell she was talking about, but was 100% convinced of the total evilness and total destructiveness of it. It was as laughable then as your rant is now.

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
That's actually why I'm a bit uneasy about investing a lot of money in the Cydia store, because of the uncertaintly of jailbreaking. Hopefully poisxninja's work goes well.

This is why my iPhone is still at 5.1.1. The only reason my iPad is at iOS6 is because that's what it came with. As soon as there's a jailbreak for iOS6 I'll be installing the apps I paid for from Cydia, and my iPad will be the more useful for it.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
This rant reminds me of an argument I got into with a cheerleader back in highschool over marijuana. She had absolutely no idea what the hell she was talking about, but was 100% convinced of the total evilness and total destructiveness of it. It was as laughable then as your rant is now.

Potheads are all alike. Selfish and self centered...always thinking they know and you don't thus your argument against it is invalid. I lived with potheads...the absolute worst experience of my life. First hand experience bro. You guys need some Visine and a new hobby.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.