i bircked my itouch

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by macsrck, Nov 12, 2007.

1. macsrck macrumors newbie

when i was upgrading to 1.1.2 with the jailbreak i misread the steps and did the 1.1.2 jailbreak before i installed the new firmware.(k know stupid.). i did the oktoprep and everything. does anyone know how to fix this??? thanks in advance

2. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

How did you birck it? I've heard of people bricking their iTouches, but never heard of an iTouch that was bircked. Hmm.....:confused:

3. macsrck thread starter macrumors newbie

i ment bricked. sorry

i'm rushing because i want this fixed.

4. Quasiportnoy macrumors regular

Have you tried to restore?

Hook up the iPod to your computer, hold home and sleep for a bit (20 seconds or so) and it will shut down, etc., and your computer should say that it detects an iPod in restore mode. Search the forums for more detail on hard restore mode.

5. macsrck thread starter macrumors newbie

i have it plugged in. i've closed itunes restarted the ipod. restarted the computer. changed USB ports. but it won't even recgonize that anything is plugged in.

6. California King macrumors 65816

You must be doing something wrong because it is impossible to brick an iPod touch. Follow these instruction exactly:

1. Open iTunes
    2. Connect your iPod
    3. Wait for iTunes to recognize, if it doesn't it's ok
    4. Hold the home and sleep button until you see the "connect to iTunes logo" on your iPod. Hold it for as long as it is needed.
    5. iPod is restored

7. frankincense macrumors newbie

Uhm...no, it's NOT impossible. It's really easy to brick an iPod touch. Sheesh...typical Mac evangelist. The fastest and easiest way to brick your iPod Touch is to connect it to a Mac running Leopard and iTunes 7.6. Instant brickware.

I just went through two and a half days of torture trying to recover my 3 day old iBrick (er...touch). And I'm a forensic scientist with a Masters degree in technology! I finally gave up and have returned it to the store where I bought it. Thank God for 30 day return policies.

What a piece of garbage.

Want to unbrick your iPod? Install iTunes on your PC. You should be able to enter recovery mode no probs. You won't get the dreaded 1604 "unknown error" either. It'll take about 30 minutes on an extreme high speed connection (I have a 25MB connection at home) to DL the 165MB restore file (I'm assuming the long DL time is due to the thousands of people trying to recover their iBricks). Once you've got it recovered, return it to the store you bought it from. For $450 I expect better quality than this.

Of course, make sure you delete the iTunes virus off your PC when done. Don't forget to run CCleaner to remove iTunes from your system registry.

You can also do a Google search for iPod forensic recovery tools. You'll be able to recover your data, nuke the unit, and toss it away (or return it if you still have time). Don't bother calling Apple tech support. You won't get anywhere and they'll only make the problem worse.

Good luck with your new project.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

did you follow the instructions given? it seems like you just tried to re3boot the ipod instead of following what was suggested?

9. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The DIFFERENT computer WITHOUT iTunes 7.6 installed worked wonders for me. You cannot iBrick an iPT as 'bricking' refers to ruining the functionality of an iPhone (the phone part). iPT can always be restored by entering DFU Mode (Connect to iTunes > Hold Power + Home until it appears in the Source List then Restore using a previous Firmware 1.1.1_pfsw File)

11. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Very interesting comment from a newbie, especially one that claims to be an all knowing tech expert. I wonder why I have not had any problems with my touch running leopard and 7.6. In addition, I did have it at 1.1.1, jailbroken. I then just did the normal Apple update to 1.1.3 and viola, no problems, running just fine. And I am certainly not a tech expert. Just a well informed, question asking, step confirming member of this forum who pays attention to what is going on around him.

As stated, I have not seen to this date an actual documented bricked touch that could not be restored. It has nothing to do with "Mac Evangelists" as you call them. It has everything to do with people being calm, following directions.

Most people get themselves into trouble because they THINK they know what they are doing and mess things up. ;)

12. Fofer macrumors 6502a

:confused:

My iPod touch connects to my Mac, running Leopard and iTunes 7.6, multiple times daily.

No "instant brickware" here... it's working perfectly.

What exactly are you smoking, Mr. Forensic Scientist?

13. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Really Einstein? Last I looked, there was no such device called "iTouch" to be bricked.

If you're going to call someone out on a typo (which is a dirtbag thing to do anyway,) try to at least make no mistakes in your own text doing so. :p

14. jacktiernan macrumors regular

OK, rather than flamin this argumentative fire, may i just say that when i first tried to jailbreak I thought i had bricked my ipod too.

However, if you follow the hard restore instructions EXACTLY, then there really is nothing (or almost nothing) that can stop that working.

Open iTunes
    Plug in your ipod
    Hold the Home AND Sleep buttons until the ipod turns off
    Then, release the Sleep button but CONTINUE HOLDING THE HOME BUTTON for at least 10secs.

iTunes will almost certainly pop up saying it has detected an ipod in recovery mode.

Please let me know if that does/doesn't work.

15. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I think its just a buzz word thats caught on personally I think its a lame buzz word lol

16. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Do you actually tell everyone you meet what your job and degree is? Wow, i bet the ladies dig it...

17. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wow, I'm really pleased you registered to impart those words of wisdom ;)
    One thing, though - I'd have thought that a "Forensic Scientist with a Masters Degree in Technology" would know the correct usage of the term "Bricked": the fact that you apparently restored it before returning it to the store means it wasn't bricked