I blame Jonathan Ive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jun 29, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

I get the feeling that Jonathan Ive is given near carte-blanche to create and design whatever he feels the next great Apple device should look like.

Sounds great but often technology to run the device isn't compatible with the design.

In other words, Apple seems to design first, make technology fit the design later. While aesthetics/design is important, it shouldn't trump technology.

I sense that Jonathan Ive and his team have all the power in product development at Apple. He came up with the design of iPhone 4 and then the worker bees at Apple had to somehow make all the guts fit the look of the device. Well this isn't always possible. Engineers probably warned Apple about the limitations of the external antenna. Jonathan Ive didn't care. Image is what counts.

Of course, ultimately it is Steve Jobs who has to be the final arbiter.

While he is a tremendous asset, is Jonathan Ive too powerful at Apple?

2. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

3. bluush macrumors 6502

Pretty sure it is. Look at the thread about it going on right now. I just tried it and it pretty much fixed my problem with reception.

4. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

There is no reception issue. Stay tuned.
    ;)

5. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

7. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

You talk about the supposed carte-blanch Ive enjoys at Apple. I'm more worried about the carte-blanche some dimwits have, to post nonsense like "Engineers probably warned Apple about the limitations of the external antenna. Jonathan Ive didn't care".

8. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Why would that worry you?

9. MassiveAttack macrumors 6502a

Form over functionality is the Apple way. Why do you think it took so long for the iPhone to get simple features that dumb phones have had for the longest? They concentrate in creating unique design and functionality takes a back seat Apples motto should be "if it looks good then it must work". I too blame Jony Ives for iPhones 4 antenna fiasco.

10. dark1x macrumors newbie

If he was concerned only with the design, the metal band could have been implemented without using it as an antenna. They could have produced a band from another material as well.

11. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

Said the owner of a Nexus One?

Every phone I've ever owned has been janky in some sort of way. My Droid was a complete piece of garbage compared to the iPhone. Constantly dropping 3G signal, horrible prox sensor, buggy phone app, laggy performance and unreliable, cheesy apps.

The standard is higher for Apple - which is fine by me. Every company makes mistakes - what I'm waiting to see is how Apple responds. Personally, I'll reserve judgement til then.

12. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I completely agree but that one was actually kind of funny.

13. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Wouldn't be the first time either.

How about those sharp edges on the Aluminium MacBooks?

But I guess Apple, Inc. will win loads of Design "awards" for this travesty of a mobile phone.

Because it looks cool. Functionality doesn't enter the equation…

And no, the problem isn't teh sim.
    :rolleyes:

14. Munitalp macrumors 65816

Return the travesty of a mobile phone and get a device that you like more? Problem solved.

15. dark1x macrumors newbie

How is it a travesty? Go read the Anadtech review and you'll see that the antenna system actually performs much better (especially in low signal strength environments) and that holding the phone a certain way only accounts for only a slight loss in strength.

It has a few minor issues, but overall, it's a great piece of hardware.

16. barefeats macrumors 65816

barefeats

The signal issue is a perfect example of "unintended consequences" of clever design.

But the question I have is, "Why wasn't this caught by test and QA engineers before the first production run?"

17. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Fixed.

18. acurafan macrumors 6502a

too busy losing them at the beer garden, duh. can't test what you don't have ;)

19. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

It's simple. Most tests and Q/A are done in controlled lab environments. As was stated in numerous circles, this could have been missed as real world tests, the phones were in cases to hide them, therefore this wouldn't have appeared as an issue.

In the last week, I was only able to make it happen twice. It's been running great for me. There is an area at work where I used to get full bars with my old iPhone and only 2-3 with iPhone 4, but I still haven't had dropped calls and data speeds are much higher.

The only dropped calls I had was calling my fiancé when she's in her apartment. This is caused by the crap signal she gets there. When she's not there, no problems.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Have you anything to back this up or is this just another MR member pulling something out of his or her arse? Do you really believe that a $50 billion company operates like that? Facepalm.

21. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

This.

22. Apple iMe. macrumors newbie

Do we really need yet another thread on this same tired issue?

There is no fix because there is no problem. Uncle Jobs said so himself!

Let it go or get a different phone. There is no fix and never will be*

* Or you could just, y'know, nudge your hand slightly away from the black band or use your right hand

23. biotricon macrumors newbie

That's right, blame the Brit :rolleyes: