Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I was using my macbook with external display and i was updating the software which came two days ago efi one ...... It said restart needed then during boot a circle with a slash appeared before apple logo
And osx utilies started ?

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
I am sorry but your not making any sense. Care to elaborate some more ?

I did a sofware update . it said it required restart and after the restart my mac straight away went into osx utilities every time .
4 options were there
1. Restore from time machine
2. Reinstall mac osx
3 get help online
4 and one more

I tried resetting pram and stuff i could find off google . no luck
Now i am reinstalling mac osx and i ahave 1 mbps download line and it from last night is downloading 20 hours remaining while downloading additional components

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
hold down the option key when you boot it up and it should give you the option to select macintosh HD. Click that and it should boot normally into os x

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
It sounds like you need to format and reinstall OS X, but it looks like you are doing that already :D

Its showing ansd stuck at 341 hours and 16 minutes
zadypega.jpg

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I was using my macbook with external display and i was updating the software which came two days ago efi one ...... It said restart needed then during boot a circle with a slash appeared before apple logo
And osx utilies started ?

Sounds like your OS was somehow damaged during that efi update. Try a command-option-r (hold all three at once) boot to internet recovery. Once in the recovery screen start disk utility and run repair disk on the drive and see if that helps. Tell us what you see when you run the disk repair.

Nothing about that efi update should hurt your OS. It could be you have a drive failure imminent and it just picked this time to go bad.

Disconnect the external display and run off the MacBook when testing this.

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Sounds like your OS was somehow damaged during that efi update. Try a command-option-r (hold all three at once) boot to internet recovery. Once in the recovery screen start disk utility and run repair disk on the drive and see if that helps. Tell us what you see when you run the disk repair.

Nothing about that efi update should hurt your OS. It could be you have a drive failure imminent and it just picked this time to go bad.

Disconnect the external display and run off the MacBook when testing this.

I tried everything before reinsralling ...repair disk and all

Finally it finished installing and mac is up n running ......
Will buy external drive for time machine .... I have had bad experience after moving to apple products sadly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.