Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
2018 Mini i5 32GB of RAM 256GB Storage

I downloaded Catalina from dosdude1 because downloading it from the App Store or System Update would fail just shy of 8GB.

So I used dosdudes patcher tool to create a bootable USB drive. Since the 2018 Mini only has 2 USB ports it got real interesting. I got into the Security Utility and allowed the Mini to boot from an external drive. Then I erased my internal drive.

From there things went south in a hurry. I could no longer boot from the Catalina USB drive I created with the patcher tool. So I used my 2012 Mini to create a bootable Catalina USB drive with Diskmaker 9 for Catalina. So I booted using a wired Logitech keyboard because my wireless Magic Keyboard 1 isn't recognized fast enough in the boot process.

So I held down the ALT Key and R and I was able to boot off the Catalina USB disk I created with Diskmaker 9. When I click on the Install Catalina icon up arrow it takes me to internet recovery. It said it needed to update something on the Mini before I could install Catalina. I left and when I got back I saw the flashing Folder icon with the ? mark inside.

So I powered off the Mini and retried it and it took me back again to internet recovery as soon as I clicked on Install Catalina.

So I need help trying to figure out my next step. I hope I don't have to install Mojave again via Internet Recovery.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Could you share with everyone what you did to get it up and running. I'm sure you're not the only one who has run into this or a similar problem.

Reactions: sugargliderdude

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Since the 2018 Mini only has 2 USB ports it got real interesting..."

Where did you EVER get that idea?

The 2018 Mini has SIX "USB" ports:
- 2 USBa ports
and
- 4 (count 'em, FOUR) USBc ports.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
OP wrote:
"Since the 2018 Mini only has 2 USB ports it got real interesting..."

Where did you EVER get that idea?

The 2018 Mini has SIX "USB" ports:
- 2 USBa ports
and
- 4 (count 'em, FOUR) USBc ports.
I was referring to USBa ports. Are the TB ports considered USBc?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I was referring to USBa ports. Are the TB ports considered USBc?"

Switch that around 180 degrees.
They are "USBc" ports, that also support thunderbolt3 (and video out).

Last edited:

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
"I was referring to USBa ports. Are the TB ports considered USBc?"

Switch that around 180 degrees.
They are "USBc" ports, that also support thunderbolt3 (and video out).
They are useless (USBc and TB3) to me. I still have too many USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. So that leaves me with just two of those ports on the back of my 2018 Mini unless I want to put a USB hub. Fortunately my Dell 19" monitor has two USB ports I can plug things into.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"They are useless (USBc and TB3) to me. I still have too many USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. So that leaves me with just two of those ports on the back of my 2018 Mini unless I want to put a USB hub"

Get a two or three of these:

This will (for all practical purposes) convert the USBc ports into USBa ports.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
"They are useless (USBc and TB3) to me. I still have too many USB 2.0 and 3.0 devices. So that leaves me with just two of those ports on the back of my 2018 Mini unless I want to put a USB hub"

Get a two or three of these:

This will (for all practical purposes) convert the USBc ports into USBa ports.
Thanks, i'll definitely consider those !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.