Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Well I'm returning my Pro and going to try and squeeze another year out if my Air 1.

I know it sounds like madness to many, but for browsing, it does the job adequately.

I think my useage case doesn't demand a Pro.

That doesn't sound like madness at all. You sound like somebody that attempted to purchase a new iPad Pro and the features were not entirely needed enough to your iPad usage and you're ultimately reverting back to your Air 1, which is more than suitable enough for you. There's nothing wrong with that.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
Exactly. I think Apple is really good at marketing “its new; it’s shiny” and I always want whatever they pitch. But I have to check myself these days and really look at what is different about they’re products. Lately, there hasn’t been much different. Even the supposed iPhone 8 - if it’s just a larger screen with an embedded home button, that’s cool, but will it be that different from last year’s model? I hope so, but I’m skeptical of the direction this steward, Cook, sees Apple headed.

Reactions: AidenL

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
For me, once Apple went with 4 speakers I no longer wanted a 2 speaker model. I create videos, many with music and sharing them is much better with the 4 Pro speakers. but the Air 2 was an amazing design.
Yeah, I hadn't realized how nice that was going to be. Definitely a plus to be sure :)

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
One issue with the Air 2 that kept me from buying it was how much the screen vibrated & resonated if you turned up the volume even a little bit. The test model at my local Best Buy exhibited this behavior and I hated it. I could feel it furing gaming or typing. Head phone users wont notice but its worth making sure this doesnt bother you. It drove me crazy.

The lack of speaker damping and super-thin(too thin) chassis caused this, IMO.

Did you gat a new Pro? If so, how is the vibration?

AidenL

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2013
Ireland
Ok, update, after arranging a return, which was never collected by TNT, I cracked open the box again and started using the Pro again over the weekend.

The result? I've decided to keep it - it will keep me more up to date on hardware for the next 2 to 3 years - and my wife will take my old Air 1. Everyone is happy.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Ok, update, after arranging a return, which was never collected by TNT, I cracked open the box again and started using the Pro again over the weekend.

The result? I've decided to keep it - it will keep me more up to date on hardware for the next 2 to 3 years - and my wife will take my old Air 1. Everyone is happy.

You couldn't resist the temptation. Not a bad choice. Everybody wins.

AmazingTechGeek

macrumors demi-god
Mar 6, 2015
Los Angeles
My Air 2 now stutters on iOS 10.3. It's Troy g to hang in there, but the 10.5 pro is much better. If you have already, keep it.

Due to Apple's pattern of iPad Pro releases, there isn't a guarantee that there will be a 2018 model. I'm betting on a 2019 spring release.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
My Air 2 now stutters on iOS 10.3. It's Troy g to hang in there, but the 10.5 pro is much better. If you have already, keep it.

Due to Apple's pattern of iPad Pro releases, there isn't a guarantee that there will be a 2018 model. I'm betting on a 2019 spring release.

Interesting. My Air 2 is on 10.3.2 and I don't see any stuttering at all. Still very smooth.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
It sounds like 85% of the experience for 40% of the cost.

And money is always a priority ! :)

If you use your iPad for gaming and watching videos apart from content consumption, the four speakers on your Pro will create stereo sound and that is the single largest bonus of that thing versus an Air 2. Ability to use Pencil on the Pro, making it a venerable drawing pad you can often use for productivity or to pass time doodling, is another plus in the Pro's favour against the Air 2.

I sold my Air 2 last November, simply to get some money and wait for the iPad lineup refresh. Now, I will purchase the Pro 10.5, if and when I do it. With iOS 10, I had really gotten down to sending handwritten messages using my finger on Air 2 screen because of the way iOS would make nice graphic images of it, and having the Pencil means an added capability on Pro 9.7 and 10.5.

While you are quite right about the 85% experience, but I do find value in the remaining 15% and I am confident that since you do have it, keeping it would only serve you better if you are using that remaining 15% today. If not, then you might look at taking the Air 2, but it all depends on if you are saving really that much. That 15% (in my case and wants) is worth the value, because I used my iPad majorly as a video device and browsing and typing device, and then gaming. So, it was really a sad experience where audio was concerned.

4 speakers, 4GB RAM, Pencil support - that iPad Pro 10.5 is a real worthwhile tool to have in your arsenal/ workflow, if you have the desire/ need for what it offers more than the Air 2.
[doublepost=1499112885][/doublepost]
Let me just add to this:

Aside from searching for a sale price in your situation, My Air 2 runs stellar since day one and iOS 10 only made it better. Before the new Pro's arrived, it was the best iPad to date and is still runs so efficiently and I refuse to sell my Air 2 (It's in mint condition) and it's one of those products you come across that just won't sacrifice performance. It's still my favorite iPad and I can't wait to see what iOS 11 can do for it. If you decide to purchase an Air 2, you won't regret it, even if the new iPad Pro supersedes it.

Only thing where an Air 2 did not do that good was audio while watching video. That sound coming from one direction just never quite sat well with me. Other than that usage (watching videos on it), that device NEVER slowed down and was a real powerhouse for as long as I used it before I sold it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 44267547 and AidenL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.