I bought a 15MPB, should I return it for a 13MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMovieHero, Sep 5, 2012.

1. TheMovieHero macrumors newbie

Hello all, I bought my first Mac about a week ago. I got the i7 Macbook Pro as I thought I'd need better performance, however I feel more and more like I should have opted for the air which is more portable. I have a desktop I'll use at home and this is a laptop I'd like to carry around. The MBP is by no means heavy, but it is heavier that the air.

My Pros/Cons for the Pro:
    Pros
    Big screen (Will be watching movies in between classes)
    Comfy Keyboard
    i7
    Cons
    Kind of heavy
    Don't know if I'll be using all the power
    Standard HDD

and for the air
    Pros
    Light and thin
    SSD which makes it very quick
    Cheaper
    Cons
    Not i7
    less RAM
    worse graphics card
    and smaller screen size

What do you guys think? I'll be using it for school, browsing the web, and light LIGHT gaming. I mean easy to run stuff on lowest settings. I have a tablet but a laptop (especially one so thin with a SSD) is so tempting, and if I returned it for the i5, 4GB RAM, 256GB model I'd get 300 bucks back to spend on any accesories I'd need. I can't upgrade any parts through apple either, as I had to by it through Best Buy.

2. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Go MBA, it's one heck of a system. I'm still amazed by it everyday.

3. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Best Buy may have some 8GB ram models. Used macbook airs are quite popular overall, which is nice. If you intend to keep it for several years, 8GB isn't a bad idea. I'm only hesitant to suggest an 8GB model because Apple charges quite a lot for the upgrade. I don't think the 15" is heavy at all. I don't even think the 17" is that heavy, and I've carried it around. I find it more awkward than heavy, and I wouldn't want to carry anything above 13" bare. I prefer a case on any of them.

4. TheMovieHero thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you done any video watching, or light gaming on it? If so, how is the screen size/picture and performance when playing games/what games?

----------

I can deal with a 15MBP and I'm typing on it right now, I love it. But a 13MBA would be really convenient for work and university

5. Wafflausages macrumors 6502

You can check videos on youtube. My friend has the MBP 13 with the HD3000 and I can tell you that he had played CS GO, Di3 and League of Legends on it and it has run for him perfectly fine. For sure it will be a lot better on the HD4000.

I also agree. I hate lugging around my 15" for college, I'm even thinking of purchasing a MBA just because of its portability.

6. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

You can get the i7 as a BTO if you really needed it on the 13" MBA.

For all the things mentioned I would go with the macbook air. Game on your desktop.

I watched movies all the time on a 13" MBP a few years ago screen size was great.

I recommend the 13" MBA

7. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Go with the Air and use that $300 to upgrade the RAM to 8GB and the rest on accessories, or even upgrade to an i7. But definitely upgrade the RAM.

The biggest question is do you want/need the portability.

8. kjlake macrumors member

I've got a 2011 MBA and a 2012 rMBP and I like both. When I'm going to do a lot of traveling, I take the MBA - but when I'm just going to the office or heading to starbucks the rMBP makes the journey. It really comes down to a matter of personal preference. Granted the SSD in the Air is a bonus when compared to the cMBP, but that is user replaceable. RAM is where you will get the biggest bang for the buck. If you choose the MBA, I would spring for the RAM upgrade since that is soldered to the logic board and not user servicable...

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I stream movies and youtube without a problem for the 2011 and 2012 model its fine. The fan kicks on more for the 2011 model. I don't game so I can't comment other than playing angry birds and that runs fine.

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Go with the 13" MBA. It's powerful enough for your needs, especially considering you have a desktop. The screen is a bit smaller but it's still the same resolution, so you have as much work area.

The SSD will make it seem faster for most tasks. It's fast enough for light gaming, you'll be able to run most modern games at medium. It'll be light enough for you to always carry with you without caring about if it's worth the extra bulk/weight.

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I wasn't suggesting the 13" was beneath your requirements at all. I was only mentioning that the norm keeps trending toward 8GB of ram standard, yet I'm unsure whether it would add enough value for you even if Best Buy carries that one. I do think the 2012 Air was a nice step over the 2011 revision, and it should be well within your requirements.

12. TheMovieHero thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the awesome help guys, making the decision harder for me but that's good that I got some awesome feedback. I'm going to go to Best Buy tomorrow and Keep my mbp in the car, and take a look at the air. I'll ask them if they can upgrade the RAM there if I buy it, I know they have Tech support with hardware installs, so if I can get that and some RAM I'll be set with some money to spare.

The SSD and the super thin size are just so alluring to me.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I might caution against that one detail. Those things are theft magnets.

14. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

The RAM on the MBA is soldered to the motherboard. It can't be upgraded. Best buy would have to have an 8gb configuration MBA in stock if you chose to purchase that.