I bought a 17" MBP last week and it will run Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gmanterry, Mar 11, 2010.

1. gmanterry macrumors regular

gmanterry

This surprised me. I bought a new 17" MBP because my late 2007 15" MBP is having problems. The trackpad has problems and the DVD drive won't work. I made a Carbon Copy Clone of the 15" MBP hard drive which is running Leopard. The new 17" MBP came with Snow Leopard. Just for fun today I decided to see if I could boot the new 17" MBP from the Leopard disk image. It works fine. I was always under the impression that when you bought a new Mac it couldn't be down graded. This 17" MBP likes Leopard just fine.

Terry

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It might appear to install well, but there could be more serious issues as time goes on running the older system on the newer hardware.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2186

3. gmanterry thread starter macrumors regular

gmanterry

Thanks for the link.

There is no reason to go back to Leopard with the new 'puter. The point was that it ran just fine. I used it all day and even posted this thread with it. That surprised me, that's all.

Terry

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

What? all the current macbook pros were released with leopard to begin with, and Snow Leopard was released months later. I know bought mine with leopard installed and snow leopard in the box.

Whatever you linked to sounds like ********.

5. gmanterry thread starter macrumors regular

gmanterry

And one final thing.

Just to clarify, I booted the 17" MBP off of the CCC image of the 15 " MBP drive which was made on an external hard drive. I hope this makes sense. I didn't install Leopard on the 17 " just booted it from the 15 " drive image. ;-)

Terry

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

There is no technical reason you could not install leopard if you wanted to and run it without issue. This is no different than buying a laptop with Vista (before 7) and wiping the disc and installing XP.

7. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

It's not BS, I wouldn't roll back to an early version of OS X then what was out when the computer came out, but since Leopard was what was out at the time there is no big deal.

8. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I understand there could be driver issues and whatever with an older OS, but yeah Leopard was the current OS when the current macbook pros were released. And I think more the point was that poster trying say the op could have issues. ********!

9. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

I did this with a 13" MBP i got a few months ago, and though it ran leopard fine, it does have driver issues that will appear.

I even ran Leopard on a 27" iMac but wouldnt necessarily trust it as my main machine with leopard running.

10. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Huh cause leopard ran great on my 13" until I fresh installed snow leopard after a few months of use.

What specific piece of hardware was having the driver issue, please explain this more because otherwise I will believe this was user error.

11. Appleart macrumors newbie

When rolling back OS versions, certain changes in hardware may not be supported by the drivers included. That isn't very surprising or foreign, is it?

However, with the newest MBP that was released originally with Leopard, there haven't been any changes at all other than Snow Leopard being released. There is no compatibility issue here.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's nice, but current models don't ship with Leopard. You've got no basis for assuming that there have been zero hardware changes that would make the official Apple support document relevant.

13. obsolescence macrumors newbie

14. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

Agreed.

Guess what?! My friend still runs XP on his newer PC! :eek::eek::eek:

My wife still has Tiger on her blackbook!! :eek:

15. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Go back to Snow Leopard.
    Time Machine a copy of your old computer.
    Run the new one with Snow Leopard and click 'import back-up' - or something along those lines ...

16. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

There has not been an update. So I do not know what you are referring to. You think Apple is going to switch hardware vendors?

17. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

When I first bought a mid 2009 13" MBP back in September, I was disappointed because with SL, it has and still has to this day, a bug where watching a video or movie through Front Row will not increase it's play count and will only show as partially watched in iTunes even though the movie was watched till the end.

I decided to install Leopard instead since Leopard never had this bug. It installed correctly but most of the touchpad gestures would not function under Leopard even after installing all updates.

I ended up switching back to SL and haven't used Front Row because of the bug mentioned above.

18. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

Did you format the drive before installing leopard?

19. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The hardware ran Leopard just fine back in June of 2009. Get back to me when you can replicate a Mac Pro 2008 running Tiger situation.

20. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I would hesitate to install a Leopard retail disc on that MBP. Apple's advice is that re-installing the current OS is OK when using the disc that came with your computer (the grey install CDs) because they may have additional software needed for your computer. So the 10.5 DVD that came with that MBP would be fine, but a 10.5 retail DVD might not be. But it is OK to install retail versions of any compatible OS's released *after* your computer came out as those retail copies would include whatever necessary hardware drivers were added to the grey Install CD that might not have been on the retail DVD. I know that's wordy, hope it makes sense.

21. gmanterry thread starter macrumors regular

gmanterry

Actually, you're 100% correct.

The 'puter did come with Tiger installed. I upgraded to Leopard, I think, in November of 2007. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Us 70+ year olds aren't the sharpest tack in the box. :)

Terry

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It was a brand new install on a new HD that I put in it.