I bought a jailbroken Iphone 4 with 4.1 firmware on ebay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AbyssImpact, Jan 24, 2011.

1. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

The thing is, it is currently unlockable. That sucks.

I have a question though. I use a sim card that is basically pay as you go. Do I have to insert my sim card in the iphone 4 to just use it? I don't want to trim it down to a micro and not be able to use the phone aspect of it because it is not unlockable yet...

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since you put lots of exclamation points, are you happy or upset that the iPhone 4 came with 4.1?

Perhaps a more descriptive title would be better

3. AbyssImpact thread starter macrumors 6502a

The listing says it is 4.1. I hope the baseband is not updated. I have not received the phone yet. The user said they used it for one month so I assume it is activated. Do I have to place my sim card inside to use the ipod touch if it is not unlockable?

4. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

@AbyssImpact, yes you have to activate, or "hacktivate" if you want access to the device (as an iPod Touch). I don't believe there's a good iPhone 4 unlock available yet. The process is usually:
    1. Activate/hacktivate
    2. jailbreak
    3. unlock

Take note that Apple has made some changes with hacktivation and the phone may ask for its sim back if you restore. Read up on it at the iPhone 4 forum at hackint0sh.

5. Vancelot macrumors newbie

how much did you pay for your IP4 in ebay??

used. better new..

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its on official 4.1 then the baseband cannot be unlocked.
    You need 4.0.2 and below to be able to unlock it.
    So you wont be able to unlock it yet but you could use AT&T prepaid sims with it assuming you're in the US.
    If its activated then you can use it as an ipod touch, if not you will need an official sim of the carrier its locked to in order to activate or JB it to hactivate.
    But you can ask the seller that.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Why does it suck that it's currently unlockable?:confused:

wait to see what you have as a BB and you need to put a sim card to activate it so you can start using it, if the seller already did it then you are set to use it in airplane mode as an iPod Touch.