i bought a macbook 13.3"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmpvir, Aug 11, 2008.

1. jmpvir macrumors newbie

hi ppl i just bought a macbook and need some help from you all

i am just totaly new to macbook and i dont know how to use it the thing is that can u ppl tell me what softwear i should keep and i should delete and how should i delete i am having a really hard time doing all this and i am a windows guy and becoming a mac guy now pls help

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Why do you want to delete anything? I don't delete anything form my new machines, except for maybe the Office Demo's, since I already have Office 2008.

3. Boomhowler macrumors 6502

simply drag the things you want to delete to the trashcan.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ this guy doesn't know that apps have fragments in other folders. Anyways, welcome to this forums! And congratulations on your purchase, I hope you enjoy it!

First of all, you don't need to delete any software, macs don't come with trials and things, just basic OS pre-installed apps (applications). To delete an app, you can manually delete all references to that app, just search the app in the right hand corner and delete anything thats related. Or you can use a 3rd party app, AppZapper, AppDelete, just google these. The latter is freeware.

5. jmpvir thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you ppl but i forgot to tell i got ir from someone its not brand new so he has installed lot of software but i cant figure out which ones they are my hard drive is 55.66 gb but available is only 23 gb y is that i dont get it where is the 32 gb and the stupid guy didnt even give me the mac os x 10.5 cd so that i can reinstall it pls help me:confused:

6. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

The first thing I'd do is call/email the guy and ask him to send you the disc. First of all, it's illegal to leave software on a computer you sell unless he gives you the original CDs of all the software. Secondly, the restore discs that came with the computer should have been transferred to you when you purchased it. I would contact the guy and ask for it specifically.

Besides that, the "i" applications are mostly part of the OS...iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes, Garageband, iDVD, iCal, TextEdit, Mail...those sorts of apps are the ones you probably want to keep. Also Stickies, Quicktime, iChat, Safari, iWeb, iSync, Front Row, DVD Player, Exposé, Dictionary, Dashboard, Chess...et cetera...You don't necessarily have to keep all those apps if you really don't them, but those are the ones that come with the OS. There are probably a few more, but I'm not sure. I think I got them all...

If you want to uninstall/delete the Applications, just drag them to the trash and empty.

Edit: Oh, also...Photobooth, Calculator, Preview, Address Book, Font Book, and Automator. Then System Preferences and Time Machine, too.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Dragging to the trash and emptying doesn't delete the entire app. Try appdelete, google it and download it. makes uninstalling apps a whole lot easier.

8. jmpvir thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for telling me all this i really appreciate your help i called he he said he doesnt have the 10.5 cd bt he has tiger and he gave it to me but if i put tiger want my 10.5 go and is there any way i can make a cd for that or i can restore it without a cd like we do in windows by pressing F12

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not sure what you mean... but turn on the computer, wait until the desktop wallpaper loads. and then slip in the disc.. everything else was self-explanatory, atleast for me when I did my first reinstall.

10. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

congratulations, welcome to the bright side of computing

11. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I don't know much about restoring, but I don't think there is a button like that. You can make the CD, but if you don't have the original CD, I believe this would be illegal. Did he tell you why he has Leopard installed, by doesn't have the CD? It's possible it's a pirated copy, in which case, you'd have to go to Tiger with your installation disc, and buy a legit copy of Leopard, probably. There's always the possibility that Apple might be able to help you if you call or email them, or someone else might chime in with some better advice. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Good luck.

12. jmpvir thread starter macrumors newbie

one more thing my cd drive doesnt work as well pls help

13. McDughf macrumors regular

Okey,
    the way I see it, you have a decision to make : either you want to have the system reinstalled so it would be like having a new mac, or you don't, and are happy with using a system that someone else has previously been driving.

If you opt for the first choice, you need to make another choice, buy a Genuine copy of Mac OS X Leopard and clean install that, or use the install discs provided by the previous owner, and install Mac OS X Tiger ( which still is a great OS )

Going for the second option in which you carry on from where the previous owner left off, you need to realise that you have an illegal copy of Mac OS X Leopard Installed on your system, and unless you are willing to buy a copy from the Apple store, theoretically it should be removed ( because its naughty :p )

For Your CD / Optical drive woes, you can just get an external one for about 25 pounds, The same usb pc drives work on the Mac. Replacing the internal will cost you around 120 pounds last time I looked, and thats without fitting charges ( and there are a LOT of screws to remove in a macbook, if you want to do it yourself - but there are guides if you are not of the faint hearted - My Favorite Is The iFixit Site

(http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/)
    Good Luck!

Barney