I bought a macbook about 2 hours ago

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Eric Lewis, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

The standard black one with 160gig drive and 1 gig of ram thats 1649 cnd or like 1449 american i believe

off my friend for 1200...he thought it was the old version..(like the previous one) and thought it was way cheaper now...so i reinstalled mac and looked at the specs and its the same as the new ones

was this a good idea? i have 7 days to return it?

2. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

What is your friend, a store with an official return policy?

And judging by your sig (assuming you actually have the MBP), why do you need a Macbook?

3. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

If I understand this correctly, you bought a 2.16 black MacBook from a friend who thought it was an earlier revision (like 2.0Ghz IIRC)?

Sounds like you got a good deal, and that he should have known what he was selling before coming up with a price.

In any case, congrats on your purchase!:D

4. Eric Lewis thread starter macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

the macbook pro was from my dad...(he got a 17inch from work) and his 15.4 went to me!

and the macbook is for bringing to grade 12 classes etc..cause the 15.4 is big for class

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

Yeah it's a good deal financially but, at least to me, expensive morally. You just ripped off your own "friend" man; that's pretty low.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

I fail to see where anyone was ripped off. OP bought the MB in good faith and, if you read his post, only realised it was the latest model when he got it.

8. Acehigh macrumors 6502

I have to ask what did you friend buy then.. It would be funny if he(or she) brought a new Macbook the exact same he sold.

9. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

But if s/he was a real "friend," s/he would've informed the friend of the mistake. Perhaps the "friend" would've wanted the MB back since it's a current model.... At least that's what I would've done.

OP doesn't seem to value friendship too highly, IMO.

10. weckart macrumors 68040

I very much doubt the "friend" wanted to sell his macbook to buy a newer one, given that there is marginal difference between this and the last generation. Check the refurb prices for one. At most, his "friend" might have asked for a few dollars more.

Plus the purchase was all of 2 hours before posting and asking for advice. Most of that 2 hours would include the reinstall. So where is the "rip off"? If OP was intent on ripping his friend off, he would not have even bothered posting here for advice, surely.

11. LouisBlack macrumors 6502

Nice reply!

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would think you are now "over-computered". MB, MBP and iMac!

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Price of MacBook is not too much out of line. Friend could have gotten it with a discount or some or the rebate offers.

Not possible to be over-computered, at least with Apples =)

Currently
    MacBook Pro 17"
    iMac intel white 20"
    iMac G5 (will be sold soon)
    PowerMac Dual G4, as 99% uptime server.

I think at one time, I had six Macs running OSX in my room...

14. weckart macrumors 68040

13 iPods, though. :eek: You only have one pair of ears.

15. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

I just dont get a 7 day return policy when you buy from a friend

16. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I still fail to see why you spent $1200 on a mb when you already have a mbp. The mbp isn't that much larger/heavier to carry around. In the end, it's your choice, but I would've spent it on other things.
    If you don't want it, you can probably sell it for a profit.

17. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I don't get it...whats the "new" version? Are you talking about core2duo? Those macs didn't change much except for the new chipset, which itself was only a refinment of the previous. $250 off the retail price for a used computer from a friend? I don't think anybody got ripped off, so I'm confused by the responses in this thread.

18. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

While I too think it's a bit of waste to have 2 laptops, because if you use the iMac at home and mb in school, when are you going to use your mbp? But I don't think it's fair to assume the OP used his parents' money when you don't know him. Which is fair to say you probably don't.

19. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Sounds like your friend doesn't know the value of the things they own.

I would still tell them that it is the newer model and offer to give it back to them.. afterall, you already have a mbp.

20. macinthebox-nan macrumors newbie

macinthebox-nan

Heresy! lol

21. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Dude, this is absoultely stupid. 2 laptops for high school? Sell the macbook and keep the macbook pro. The 15" macbook is definately not too big to carry around. I carry a 17" 5 days a week, I'm in college, you will be fine with just a 15.

22. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I have two notebooks, 1 Asus and 1 macbook. The Asus is for school based programs because the medschool only has windows based programs...I just got a macbook for fun times ahah...I hope that is not stupid.

17" is HUGE to carry around! I would be blocking people sitting in back of me in lecture halls with that size screen.

Anyway, OP, that is a good deal depending on the condition the macbook is in, although that's not too reassuring that he thought it was an older version..

23. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can sell your Asus because Macbook can run Windoze at native speed. You can even run windoze app along with OS X by using VMWare (highly rated), Parallels, and CrossOver (cross over is compatible with a limited number of apps).

I have the 17", it's not huge to be carrying around. Not all that heavier than Macbook (1.7 lbs difference). Great for gaming.