I bought a Macbook pro today and could use some help..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anonymouslives, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Anonymouslives macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

So I purchased the macbook pro 15.4" version today. The one that is $1,999.99 although it was close to $2,200 with tax. I got home and as I do with all computers, I went to shockplay.com, single player mode, and speed test. there is a cool speed test there that tests all sorts of different things. Well, I tested the Macbook pro against My Hp nc6400 notebook, which has a core 2 duo 2.0 ghz, 1 gb or ram, and just the integrated video card. Well it blew the macbook pro away big time, and as follows:

MATH: HP 128.1 Mac 287.1 (mac wins this one)
    Text: HP 247.1 Mac 85.5
    Pixels: HP 118.8 Mac 111.0
    Sprites: HP 359.9 Mac 194.2
    Vector: HP 355.5 Mac 243.4
    3D: HP 277.4 Mac 84.3
    Average: HP 247.8 Mac 167.6

Someone please tell me the settings on the mac are low and I can somehow increase something, because this makes me feel ill. The Mac should have destroyed the HP, but it was the opposite. What is the deal people? Please help, it is so pretty, I don't want to get rid of it because of this...

2. blurb23 macrumors 6502a

There's definitely something wrong there.

Just to be sure, both are running on AC power with their batteries in, right?

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

are these like graphics card/gaming benchmarks or something? Your Macbook pro will destroy most computers in everything but games. But you don't buy a Mac if you're serious about games.

4. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

I didn't have the pro on AC power but did have the PC on AC power, I will try it with. Also, the Macbook pro should be able to play any video game quite well considering the system specs. I am afraid to find out though.

5. Anonymouslives thread starter macrumors 6502

Anonymouslives

it isn't any better, how do i get into the Nvidia settings?

6. nakile macrumors regular

The website looks like it's based off Adobe Shockwave. Unless Adobe has finally updated Shockwave to work on Intel Macs, then your most likely running your test under Rosetta. That could cause some performance problems...

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

A flash/shockwave test is not an accurate representation of your computer's power... thats why no review websites use Flash as a benchmark.

Try playing a real game, like Quake 4 or something, to compare the speeds.

Also, try updating your Shockwave plugin (here)

8. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I performed the test on my MB 2.2 SRC2D w/ 2 GB RAM using Safari with Shockwave 11 installed, running no other apps:

Math: 261.2
    Text: 84
    Pixels: 61.4
    Sprites: 98.1
    Vector: 251.3
    3D: 76.1
    Average: 138.7

Don't know much about Shockwave. I know Flash is pretty sucky on Mac OS X. I think there's bad blood between Adobe and Apple. I'd probably dislike Apple if I worked at Adobe.

9. 2ms macrumors 6502

The answer is simple: Adobe has not made a Shockwave for OSX on Intel yet. The performance of Shockwave on Intel Macs temporarily sucks. Using Shockwave as a benchmark on an Intel mac is about the most misrepresentative way of benchmarking imaginable.

10. astudentis macrumors regular

try

try geekbench, on both of your laptops

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/

This will test ur cpu+memory more thoroughly...not sure about gpu

give it a shot

My dell: 3501
    My macbook: ~2700

11. wk127001 macrumors member

To have any consistency at all you really need to be running the same operating system on both your HP and MBP.

12. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

EXACTLY... in a shot,wk...

but not worth running bootcamp and XP/Vista just to prove it..