I bought a MACBOOK today!!! Woot!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dammit Cubs, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Well I was going to best buy to buy a 120 gig portable hard drive for 80 bucks which I need for my X-MAS Trip. I saw this sony vaio that was really awesome. THEY COPIED the MACBOOK KEYBOARD!!!! but when i saw the price, it was the same as a macbook and Im like well why don't i just get that.

I was curious about the thickness of the macbook. so I went to the apple store. I knew that today, apple took off 101 dollars for macbooks (it's pretty much a student discount).

I asked a bunch of questions and right now, I am in need of a computer since I am using my work computer for personal use.

So...after 1 one hour, i finally took the pludge.

I used my 100 dollar apple store credit i got from apple for the iphone discount and my sub total was 1098 for the macbook 2.2ghz.

I was thinking about getting a 160 gig hard drive, but i think 120 gig is suffice. (since i have a 120 gig portable hard drive and a 250 gig externa drive).

All I need is ram, which I don't have much of (only 1 gig). I'll get that in a month or so.

But yes, I am officially a MAC USER. (BTW when i first started my computer.....the opening was awesome. ALL fancy and cool !!! )

************************************************************************************************************************************************************

so what are some essentials software I'll be needing.

I like using divx, xvid and stuff like that.

2. PCRanger macrumors regular

Perian - A load of codecs which will add many more formats to Quicktime
    VLC - Will play pretty much anything Perian can't handle
    Azureus - A really good bittorrent client, with a plethora of plugins
    Cyberduck - A nifty FTP & SFTP client
    Adium - Chat client, allowing connection to AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Jabber and more

I'll let someone else give you some, as I've run out of ideas!

Good luck with your Macbook, you should be pleasantly surprised at how it takes over your computing life...:p

3. joegomolski macrumors 6502

joegomolski

I bought a MACBOOK today!!! Woot!

Welcome to the Club.

With regard to the hard disk. If you want go back to the Apple store and get the MacBook with the 160GB. And buy a 200GB from a online vendor. Why the new 200GB drives are very much faster. The performance difference will surprise you. Then take the 160GB, or the 120GB whichever you decide on keeping, put the spare drive into an external enclosure. This will become your Time Machine drive.

You can't install Time Machine on your MacBook hard drive.

For memory, max it out to 4GB. Again talking about performance. The extra memory will not be regretted.

By the way, I always buy the Apple laptop minimum configuration. Apple's prices for additional memory, and upgraded hard disks are way too expensive.

I buy my upgraded RAM, upgraded hard disks, and hard disks enclosures, from OWC, macsales.com. Their prices are very completive. You'll save significant bucks.

If you're reaction to you're MacBook is like mine, you'll never look back.

Enjoy!

4. thepandamancan macrumors member

thepandamancan

5. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

what is the max ram for macbooks?

Not the macbook pro.

6. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

4GB

7. Muzzway macrumors regular

Congrats on the purchase. :) Just got mine as well.

Same as the pro, 4GB: 2GB in each slot.

8. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I got mine today as well, I just can't use it until Christmas :(

9. palmerized macrumors regular

Congrats and welcome to the cult that is Apple. :)

10. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

my mom told me not to join anymore cults... maybe i shouldn't tell her i bought a mbp :eek:

11. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

12. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Congrats on the new MacBook Dammit Cubs, adding the extra RAM should speed things up even further. Check out www.datamem.com for some great deals. :)

13. dvd macrumors regular

dvd

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

Santa rosa MacBooks can do 4gb, pre-Santa rosa core2duo MacBooks top out at 3.3gb. I think the earliest (core duo) models top out at 2gig

14. Dammit Cubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

so the apple guy told me that if I install my own ram, it voids my warranty.

is this true?

15. Aranince macrumors 65816

No, Ram and Hard drive are user serviceable parts.

16. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

pfft NO! apple have made the ram and even the hard drive user replaceable in the macbook (only ram in macbook pro) and it definately does not void your warranty. the apple salesman doesn't know what his talking about. for cheap and high quality ram i suggest crucial or OWC.

17. mm1250 macrumors 6502

I've had my MacBook PRo for almost a month now. Couple of days ago I got my Credit card bill. Now I have to figure out how to pay for it. :(

18. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Its definitely the best small laptop out there, I love mine to bits...congratulations :)

Remember to check out the MR Guides if you run into trouble...

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

No, it does not void your warranty. However, Apple may not cover the RAM you installed by yourself since it was purchased/installed via a third party.

Rest assured, if for some ungodly reason your brand-new MacBook was to meet an untimely demise sometime next week, Apple would either repair or replace your MacBook without any hassle. :)

Perhaps you should have thought of that before purchasing your MacBook Pro... :p ;) :)

Just a suggestion, but if you are unable to payoff your credit card, you might want to consider get a loan from a credit union (or bank if you do not belong to a credit union) to payoff what you owe on your credit card.

The loan rate from the credit union should be lower than the interest rate on your credit card (unless you have some sort of introductory or special rate at the moment). For example, the credit union that I work at is currently running a holiday loan special of 5.99% for up to $3,000 for 24 months. This is opposed to credit cards which generally range from 8 to 20+%.

Hope this helps mm1250. :)

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You might as well, you are after all born with two of them. ;) :D