I bought a MBP the r other day.....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thecellar, Feb 25, 2008.

  1. thecellar macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #1
    I couldnt wait for the macbook pro update i needed a new computer and decided to go with an apple when the time, so thursday i got what i feel is a great deal on ebay. I purchased a 15" macbook pro 2.4ghz-2gb-160 for $1850 then purchased 4gb ram upgrade for it.

    Do you think this was a mistake.....or will i be just as satisfied vs the expected specs of the rumored update. Right now i dont think i'll care once the new ones come out but. i thought this was a great deal regardless..
     
  2. mshedd081 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2008
    Location:
    Mississippi
    #2
    I did basically the same thing as you! I couldnt wait any longer and bought a low end mbp the 1999+ one with upgraded 4gig ram with my brothers edu discount. I honestly really dont care if they do upgrade the machine because I love my machine. LOVE IT! It is more than what I need since I upgraded from my 2.0 MB (which is now dead). So I hope you enjoy your purchase... I think you made a "good" choice but that is just my opinion.
     
  3. natharvey macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2008
    #3
    you made a great decision. your getting a fabulous computer and with the 4gb ram it'll be running like a banshee
     
  4. err404 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2007
    #4
    Good for you. You can play the waiting game, but there is always a faster machine around the corner.
    You've got to bite the bullet eventually. When I got mine, the SR model was supposed to be "any day now". I had it for 6 months before the update came. I'm glad I didn't wait and would be even if the SR had come out earlier. At the end of the day it's a great machine, with more then enough power.
     
  5. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #5
    AHHH reassurance.....i think ill be set for awhile with the one i purchased..

    thanks again for the posts
     
  6. catfish743 macrumors 6502

    catfish743

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2007
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #6
    that's the step up from the one that i have used, and it's more than what i would need. i'm sure you'll be fine with it, especially after the 4gig upgrade
     
  7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

    tMac85

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Location:
    in a great place
    #7
    wow i dont know how you got that price for that machine. .... USED? either way that machine will do wonders. great purchase my man.
     
  8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

    pulsewidth947

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2005
    Location:
    squarefrog.co.uk
    #8
    Well done for buying a MBP when you needed it instead of playing the dumb waiting game. I bought my refurb MBP the week before MacWorld SF :D I like to gamble.

    In all honesty I'm not convinced new MBP will be anything amazing. Speed bump, different chips, maybe the multitouch pad, but thats it. I'm glad I didn't wait. My MBP does everything I need it too, and I haven't even upgraded to 4GB yet!
     
  9. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #9
    Experts , did i still make a decent decision..

    Should i stick with my purchase?
     
  10. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #10
    Well.. considering a 2.2 refurb direct from apple just dropped to 1449 ... which comes to about 1550 (with the tax). ..... you spent about 300 too much now.

    If there is anyway you can back out of the sale and grab a refurb from apple, i'd personally do it... Unless a shiny new box is important to you (if you even got a new box via ebay

    Edit - oops. just reread your thread. It was a 2.4 you got. Still about 100 more then the refurb store now though as that model is 1649 (about 1750 with tax) but if you got a new in box and a 1 year warranty then I guess it's still a good decision. If not, back out and purchase direct from apple to get the 1 year warranty and save 100 bucks.
     
  11. BigBadErik macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2006
    #11
    Apple's Policy

    Hey Folks,

    Just FYI, I went to the Apple Store the other day and asked a gentleman who works there, "I really want to buy a MacBook Pro, and I've been waiting *six months*. I'll be really bummed if they upgrade the machine three days after I buy it."

    The gentleman told me that *Apple has a policy*...if they upgrade the machine within two weeks of my purchase, Apple, minus a restocking fee, will swap machines for me.

    Hope this has been useful. Me, I waited anyway, and look what I'm gonna get :) A bran' spankin' new one!

    Sincerely,
    Erik
     
  12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2006
    #12
    Thats not a policy. You can return the computer for any reason for a refund + 10% restocking fee within a certain period of time, 99% of stores do that and if Im not mistaken its a law in most states. Thats just a standard return and doesnt have anything to do with protecting people from future product updates (I think CircuitCity has a real "future proof policy" where theres no restocking fee for an exchange AND you actually get money back if it goes on sale or drops in price within 30 days).

    The restocking fee is a rip off, 10% for something thats 50 bucks is fine but $2000+?. If you can get out of the sale without the restocking fee then its a no brainer. For something as expensive as a MBP I wouldnt pay the restocking fee.
     
  13. thecellar thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2008
    #13
    i got it on ebay and probably wont be able to return it...the only way to get rid of it would be to relist it....but i think i am going to stick with it, i guarantee i will not be able to distinguish the processor difference, and touch pad really doesnt do it for me, i dont think it really a necessity like on the iphone.
     

Share This Page