I bought a new Macbook Saturday.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jjholly, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jjholly macrumors member

Will i be able to take mine back and swap it for one of the new updated ones?
    I bought it in the Southampton Apple Store.

2. jjholly thread starter macrumors member

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Do it. It is within your rights. You may have to pay a restocking fee.

TEG

4. marioalexander macrumors newbie

Interesting, my little sister just bought one last week and now i bet shes feeling gyped. Can you really just take it back and swap it? How much do you think the "fee" you were talking about would cost?

Thanks.

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

You have 14 days to take it back and exchange it

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The fee is normally 10% I think. This is to pay if you have opened it (very likely!)

In the UK, you can return your purchase within 14/28 days (can't remember which). It is your statutory right.

7. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Be careful as I don't believe this is the case for everything. For example shops don't have to take earrings back (infection risk) unless they are faulty.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This is only the case if you return the item in the condition in which you bought it. If you remove the seal and use the computer, you don't have this option by law unless the computer is faulty (not fit for purpose).

9. jjholly thread starter macrumors member

I have opened and used the computer.
    I read on the UK site that it can be returned within 14 days but i cant find any thing about the restocking fee, but i can see why they have it.

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

This is exactly why I prefer to use third party retailers. I don't know how it is in the UK but in the US most other brick and mortar retailers give 30 days no questions asked full refunds.

As far as the restocking fee goes I thought that was just for custom built Macs. I was under the impression that those bought in a default configuration got a full refund. Otherwise it is 10%.

11. Badradio macrumors 6502

This is true. A friend was in this exact situation and returned his 7-day-old MacBook last night. They exchanged it for the new model with no charge.

12. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

I don't know what US you live in, but in the US I live in most B&M retailers have a 14 day return policy on unopened technology items and charge a restocking fee if it's opened. Amazon, an online retailer, charges a restocking fee if opened(but allows up to 30 days). The only B&M store that allows full refunds of opened computers within 30 days is Costco(Up to 90 days) and Sam's club(up to 6 months).

Nope. You only got one thing right, the restocking charge for default configurations.

Straight from Apple's website is:
    Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized products may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless such product is DOA.

You have up to 14 days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return. A 10% restocking fee will be assessed for opened items.

Badradio:
    That's an exchange not a refund and due to the RECENT update. I don't think if he'd waited till next month that they would exchange it.

13. maclawlz macrumors newbie

So you bRought a new MacBook huh? Where did you bRought it to after you bRought it?

Will you bRought a new one?

14. russtic macrumors member

UK - corrections

In the UK, you can return your purchase within 14/28 days (can't remember which). It is your statutory right.

Not true, unless you buy online and then you have 7 days under distance selling regs.

However most large retailers do offer similar on unopened items.

Apple go beyond statutory rights and offer a 14 day return if it is in same condition i.e. undamaged and with all packaging. My experience of this is good and they are actually very reasonable about it.

There is no restocking fee despite this being mentioned on website. I have had this confirmed on the phone and in store.

15. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

wtf?

16. bamaworks macrumors 6502

I second that with a severe "Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot", over!

17. Jim Campbell macrumors 6502a

Jim Campbell

To repeat my post from an identical thread:

Please note that I am Customer Service Manager for a national High Street retail chain. The Sale of Goods Act is imprinted on my soul, in triplicate. I know whereof I speak.

Cheers!

Jim

18. AndyC macrumors member

What happens if they reduce the price of an item you bought from their online store can you get a refund?

thanks

19. Flowero4ka macrumors regular

Could I ask you as a new mac-user, will you run Windows on it?

20. Badradio macrumors 6502

... which Apple - in a gesture of goodwill, and while retaining all legal rights to not do so at their discretion - will waive under the cirumstances in which the op finds himself.

21. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

There is Fry's electronics. Now that I have looked around it appears a lot of retailers have changed this policy. Basically I purchase Macs, Monitors, Home Theater equipment and Car Audio through Fry's since they are so cheap with massive selection. All other peripherals, upgrades, custom built PC's and cables I buy online.

Last I remember in the late 90's Circuit City, Best Buy, Good Guys and basically all retailers had a 30 day return I did not think they had changed this, especially with the competition with online retailers and discount stores like Fry's and Costco. No wonder why Good Guys and CompUSA went under they offered nothing to entice customers, lets see higher prices, smaller selection, and then a 14day return policy.

The was the last time I went to one of these retailers was when I found Fry's in 1998, finding Newegg.com in 2004 has finally pulled me away from Radio Shack which stopped focusing on selling components for hobbyists.

22. sagnier macrumors regular

Apple make jewellery?

23. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

is a .2ghz speed bump worth a return and possible fee? I don't think so personally as I dont want to go through the hassle of taking out the ram repacking going to an apple store etc.

24. astudentis macrumors regular

if its the black one, yea, along with 2GB ram and 250GB DRIVE!