Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G5Jake

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I put the SATA HD in my powermac g5 and it gave me an option to wipe the drive, now im going to reinstall mac osx on it, does anybody know what OSX i need 10.4? for an intel mac mini 1.66 core duo

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
You're going to need the grey installer discs that came with the Mini.

Well i dont have them so im putting mac os x 10.4 thats what it had on it before i wiped the HDD

As Eidorian stated above, the only way you can install OS X on your mini is with the system discs that are supplied with the computer. I know you don't have them but you cannot use the retail version of Tiger because it is for PPC Macs only and Apple have never sold a retail version for Intel Macs.

If you are unable to get the correct discs from Apple, your only hope is to wait for Leopard to be released which will be universal and work on both Intel And PPC Macs.

G5Jake

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Repair what about the mini?

You only need the installer discs from them.

I know that, they charge a grip if you don't have the apple care. They told me it needed to be sent in, they said that they do not reinstall software or work on any hardware issues at the store. The only thing the genius bar is good for is diagnosing the problems and fixing them if they have the materials to do so, witch in this case they do not.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd ask at the Genius Bar or call AppleCare for the discs themselves. It's ridiculous that it needs to be sent in just to have the operating system installed. It's not like you can't do that yourself.

Failing that you can wait for Leopard.

G5Jake

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
Repair what about the mini?

You only need the installer discs from them. Why won't they send them?

Oh, and the lady i talked to on the phone for technical support wanted 40 bucks for them to help me, And she said they couldn't guarantee that they would send me the re installation discs, The only thing she could tell me without the 40 bucks and apple care was to take it in to the mac store, witch i did.

I'd ask at the Genius Bar or call AppleCare for the discs themselves. It's ridiculous that it needs to be sent in just to have the operating system installed. It's not like you can't do that yourself.

Failing that you can wait for Leopard.

Well if you think about it it does make sense, Most people cannot install an operating system there is only a small few that are savvy and no how to work on computers. And they hardly repair anything at the store unless you know you cant figure out the serial number for garage band or something along those lines.

Also, when is leopard supposed to be released?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well if you think about it it does make sense, Most people cannot install an operating system there is only a small few that are savvy and no how to work on computers. And they hardly repair anything at the store unless you know you cant figure out the serial number for garage band or something along those lines.
I'd honestly just call Apple then and see if you can get the discs from them.

Which Mac mini is it? I have the 10.4.7 discs for the second revision Core Duo.

G5Jake

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I'd honestly just call Apple then and see if you can get the discs from them.

Which Mac mini is it? I have the 10.4.7 discs for the second revision Core Duo.

Its a Mini 1.66 Core duo 1 gig Ram and 80gig hd, bluetooth and airport installed

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Hi, I just bought a used mac mini intel core duo 1.66ghz, I have no admin password to log onto the thing, I cannot reach the owner because it says his phone is disconnected, I need the password to get on it, I have no Mac OS X install disc's and the ones i do have dont work "witch are panther 10.3.4" I cant order new discs Apple will not send them to me, Im out of options.

If there is anyway you can help me i would appreciete it. But please dont tell me to call mac again or try to get ahold of the owner, those are things that cannot happend, i need some kind of way to reset it, there has to be one somehow!

thanks alot!
I can't belive that nobody here has any idea how

I'm 15 and I know how

Tricking your Mac into creating a new user account
Power on or restart your Mac (should work for any Mac OS X system).
At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode.
This step is optional, but it’s a good idea because it checks the consistency of the hard disk before moving on. At the prompt, type fsck -fy and press Enter/Return. Wait for the checks to complete before going to the next step.
Type mount -uw / and press Enter.
Type rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone and press Enter.
Type shutdown -h now and press Enter.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Folks, this question was probably answered some time since this thread was started more than 5 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.