I bought Applecare today. I have a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arunim, Jan 8, 2010.

1. arunim macrumors member

Hey guys, I bought applecare for my macbook pro today from the Apple store (physical store.. not online lol).

My question is: Do they give you any documentation at all? Coz all I did was pay for it, and they gave me a receipt. That is it. No contract or anything... Is this how they do it normally? or maybe the guy just forgot to give me all the stuff...

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

I think they're supposed to give you a shrink-wrapped box with the certificate number, the documentation, and a CD with TechTool on it.

You can go here and see if you have a registered agreement.

3. arunim thread starter macrumors member

yea.. i did not get any of that..
    I'll go to the store 2morro and check it out..
    also how does support work outside the US if there is no apple store?
    do i take it to an authorized apple reseller instead?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

5. auero macrumors 65816

They register the computer for you. Theres nothing but a useless CD inside (at least to the average person since more than likely you'll need to take it in anyway).

At my store you need to 'ask' for the box. Again, theres no need once they activate it on your serial number.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. Usually if you purchase a new Mac with AppleCare, they will enroll it for you there at the store. Yes AppleCare has a disc and some other paper but it really isn't of any significance to you. Just make sure you keep the receipt (which should have AppleCare listed along with the serial number of the box) for future reference in case something does happen.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, does your receipt have your computer serial number? If so, you're probably good to go, but you could always ask.

Also, whatever you do, check Apple.com/support in a few days, to see if your coverage information has been extended the 2 extra years.

8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

9. Nano2k macrumors regular

Hahaha reminds me of those who say dont buy Applecare from Ebay because you dont get the box :D

10. Hmac macrumors 68020

I've bought all four of my Applecare programs over ebay - got sent the box with two of them, all are active according to Apple.

Yes, I agree they may have registered the computer for him if they had his serial number, all the more reason to check with Apple and see if he has a registered agreement.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/Agreements.do

11. iRach macrumors member

iRach

If you buy Applecare off ebay, how do you register it to your Mac? I quite fancy buying it from there, it's a good deal:)

12. dilbaggins macrumors member

All new MBP's come with 1 or 2 year protection? Is their a Education discount for Apple Care?

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

1 year and yes.

14. arunim thread starter macrumors member

ok i went to apple store today, and they assured me that my applecare has been activated.

from what I've read here, I dont really need the stuff in the box.. is that correct?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is correct.