I bought iLife 08, but should I open it, or keep it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macgeek77, Dec 3, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

I purchased iLife 08 when I purchased Leopard. However, I am not sure if I should open the box or not, and install iLife. I am currently running iLife '05 and it does what I need it to. However, are the features so good in '08 that I should keep the software and upgrade? When I get another computer with 08 on it, will it be compatable with my '05 on my current computer? THanks for any advice.

2. macgeek77 thread starter macrumors regular

I should clarify: I am not sure if I should keep the software, or sell/return it.

3. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

When packaged with a new computer, iLife is "OEM", on the system restore disc... I don't think it can be used on another Mac

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

It can't the restore discs are limited onto to install on the type of hardware they are supplied with. ie a macbook dvd wont work on an imac.

5. ivan1234 macrumors regular

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I don't think that he is talking about one on an install disk kids. He said he bought iLife.

I think iWeb is really finally usable. Limited, but way better than '06. I now use it.

The question is this...are you going to use it? If so, it is all much improved over your '05 iLife. If you don't need the apps now, return it. You can always buy it at a later time if you should need it.

7. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Watch the iLife video on Apple's site and see if it sounds like you would actually use any of the updates. If not, return it.

8. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

All of the apps in ilife '08 are much better than the previous versions...except for imovie....that has taken a huge step backwards as far as I'm concerned...so if you bought it for imovie...return it...if you didn't buy it for imovie then I would keep it...just know you will have to probably buy another movie editing program...

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

iMovie 06 is available as a free? download for all purchasers of iMovie 08.

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

11. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I personally say: "keep it". I love the new interface in iPhone-I am in love with the Web Gallery. It makes having a photo gallery online easy!!

I also enjoy iWeb; though with the new Web Gallery I don't update my web-sites as much as it is mostly pictures of my nephews and Godson. I did create the vast of my previous website under the last version of iWeb.

12. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You'll be able to still share libraries across iPhoto but you won't be able to use the same library file (say on an external drive) since it's formatted differently from 05 (and 06) to 08.