I bought it yesterday, no regrets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fenir, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Fenir macrumors regular

I have to have the top of the line technology. I had been patiently waiting since February for the soon to come update, and with all the rumors of the updates happening in around a month, I was mad/disappointed. Mad because I was hoping Apple would release an updated computer with a different video card before school started. Dissappointed because I had been depriving myself w/o a laptop (first MB LCD started to not work, Apple wanted $800 to fix).

Well I figured, instead of waiting for my deadline (next week), mine as well get it now since waiting til next week doesn't do me any good.

It's nothing special, base MBP 15" Glossy screen. But Wow, when you actually take it home and use it, seems MUCH bigger than in any store. Screen seems fine, knock on wood, but the thing I am happiest about is the keyboard. I would hate to see it get changed. Everything just feels so right with this.

Well anyways, enough of the ranting. The machine is a treat to use, and I shouldn't have waited this long. If you're a waiting college student like I was, go out and get it now. You won't regret it.

2. TheGrand macrumors newbie

::correction:: you have no regrets until the new MBP gets updated with the latest intel processor, new graphics card, and probably a new case design comes out some time next month.

Now i am in a similar predicament as you are, as i will be going to college next week too. However, i have made up my mind that i will be bringing along my 3 yr old laptop with me atleast until the new macs are coming out. now it took me a long time to decide, but if u think about it we both have been waiting quite a long time now for a mac and it just seems that an extra month is not that much to ask for when it comes to something that u will be using for the next 4 years. Now maybe you dont have a spare computer that u can bring, so maybe having a mac now isnt so bad. But if there are any people that can hold off, i would recommend it, even if just to see whats in the pipes.

3. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Congrats for being decisive. I set myself a deadline and stuck to it, none of that waiting month after month nonsense of the never-ending waiting game. The hassle in addition to going to school, optimizing the machine, and moving is just not worth it. Enjoy. The MBP is awesome in every way.

4. ManWithhat macrumors regular

It's interesting that you have no regrets . . seeing as how Apple said they were going to be taking a hit on the prices/specs with the new revisions to beat out competitors. That and the laptops are coming in another month or so . .

5. TheGrand macrumors newbie

BTW i see u live in michingan, so do I

What college? i am going to MSU

6. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

Lol, congratulations, you're raining on someone else's parade to justify your own interminable wait? Do you want a medal for that or what?

They are always "coming out in a month or so". First June, then July, then August surely, now September. Maybe it;'ll happen this time. But if not, then what? You're locked into the waiting cycle if nothing happens, and you would have wasted even more months. At the end of the day, you buy it when you need it. If you're schooling, for example.

7. TheGrand macrumors newbie

all i am saying is that a new computer nonetheless a computer costing $2000 or more is a huge investment. yes , you are right that there will always be newer gadgets coming out in a never ending cycle, But why not jump on the bandwagon at the beginning as opposed to the end. As i said before maybe he couldn't wait and had to buy, but for those who can wait new macs are coming out whether they come with the redesign or just intels newest.

8. Fenir thread starter macrumors regular

WMU.

I need the laptop by next week, and since it won't be updated by then, I had to get it now.

9. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

I am in the same position, but I just can't make a decision. I have the use of my Dad's laptop until I decide. But right now I get the free iPod, printer, and $50 of accessories, so I just can't decide if it is worth the wait. I wish that I knew for sure if they are going to reduce the price on the new ones.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

11. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Well i bought mine last week too. And i am very happy with it.

And even if new revision comes out in a month i wont regret it cause i know that this laptop will cover my needs for the next 3 years at least.

Even if faster and newer processor is used and other gpu i wont be sad or anythign cause i dont see how much difference would some mhz do in terms of speed and all for the task i am gonna use it.

Maybe the GPU thing problems me but i just think its overrated on this forum and doesnt represent the true extend of the problem wich is smaller.

Congratz dude and have fun with your new laptop.:):)

Heh i am always late on buying computers:D. I bought a powerbook 1ghz when almost powerbooks were on their end of life:D. I still dont regret it and it still runs sweet:)

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree completely with ohforfckssake on this one; the "will I buy now or wait until the next update (or the one after that)" is a perennial theme on this forum.

Congrats to Fenir on your splendid new MBP. It is a fantastic machine, fast, powerful, great performance and a superb screen, and I'm writing as a recent switcher and happy MBP owner myself. You'll love it. Enjoy the machine - sell or update if and when you need to - and good luck with college. Cheers.

13. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Congrats, I'm sure you will have much fun with your new toy :D