I bought my First Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by techguy40, Mar 8, 2008.

1. techguy40 macrumors regular

Hey Guys

I finally bought my first Macbook Pro.

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive 5400rpm
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB

Its awesome so far. I am Pc switcher, so I am learning how to use everything on the mac.

Some Questions

1) Is it best to do a clean install? What are the steps to go about it and what you recommend to keep?

2)What are some good application to download for free?
    and what some good software you recommend buying?

3)I have a backup external harddrive (usb 2.) that is formated to NTFS because I have a pc desktop that I use too. Will I be able to use the external harddrive for my mac?

4) How do you install applications? For example I like the Firefox browser. After I download it, what do i need to do so it gets install and what the best way to get easy access to it for loading it and using it.

5) Any good web sites for newbies to learn how to use the mac? any good chat rooms for the mac talk?

6) any tips to check for dead pixels and yellowish marks on the mac book? I want to be sure I am ok.

Thanks

2. Pees330 macrumors 6502

There are a lot of good guides for beginners on this site that you can check out. Just do a search and you will find lots of stuff.

I usually always do a fresh install of the OS once I get a new machine because I can free up a free extra gigs of space. Just put in the restore discs that came with the machine and follow the on screen instructions. You will eventually see a screen that has a button to customize install. Go in there and uncheck any languages and printer drivers that you don't need. It will easily save you some space.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Well first off congrats on your purchase.
    Some apps that are cool:
    Adium-IM app
    Joost-Has a lot of cool videos
    Handbrake-DVD ripper
    Scribbles-Like MS paint (I like it better)
    Disk Inventory X-Shows free space

Those are some cool apps, and to install apps, just download them (they either go to desktop or downloads folder) Just double click the icon(some are folders where you have to use stuffit expander or something just follow the directions)

ChrisN

4. techguy40 thread starter macrumors regular

one quick question

I doing a fresh install, holding C key when restarting and cd in cdrom drive.

on option I pick the one about erase and delete method

I click on customize and I notice for garageband and Iphoto that the box next to it won't let me mark it for install when i do customize. The box is empty and it won't let me mark /unmark it.

Will garageband and Iphoto be install again?