Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
I called apple store (1800myapple) and talked about i bought it in aug on the 19th and they are going to ship me an upgrade disk for 10bucks..

so call maybe u will be lucky!

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Just got off the phone from the closest premium reseller I could find.. Bought mine the 29th of September, but received it the 10th of October.. I'm not getting Leopard -_- Sigh

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
i bought two, one in september 26th (shipped on october 9th)
the other is oct 4th and shipped oct 6th

both not here yet, i expect one tomorrow and the other by the end of the week.

i am definitely getting a legit copy of leopard.

is it only upgrade disks, or it will let u do a fresh install?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I called apple store (1800myapple) and talked about i bought it in aug on the 19th and they are going to ship me an upgrade disk for 10bucks..

so call maybe u will be lucky!

I'd wait til your disks arrive before congratulating yourself. I supposedly qualified for the $10 iLife upgrade and still haven't seen the disks.

Bobioden

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2007
Denver
I just filled out my online qualification. I bought mine on Sept 24th, I was going to use the $100 rebate off a new printer, but the salesperson guaranteed me my HP Laserjet and Inkjet would both work. I got the Inkjet to work but could not get the Laserjet to install at all. I finally went back to Apple and they refunded my computer, then re-rang it with a new Samsung Ml-1610, so I could get the rebate. By doing this my receipt now says 10/2, so I qualified for the $9.95 Leopard upgrade. YEAH

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
so does this go off the shipping date or the date you placed your order?

nvm, just placed my upgrade order :)

Bolteh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Hmm, come to think of it, I said September because that's when I ordered, but since I was paying with a banktransfer, the mail I got stated that the order will become active if a payment is received over at Apple.. They received it the 2nd of Oct.. Does that mean I can get the update, or shouldn't I bother?

Also, if I do get the free update, is that the full version of Leopard, or some sort of update from Tiger to Leopard?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
I saw this and have already purchased my copy, I upgraded to 2 day shipping, so Oct 28th, party at my house.
:D

If you paid extra for that shipping you may not be getting your money's worth. I have purchased the last 2 versions of OS X with the standard free shipping and both times Apple shipped them to me the day of the release date. They generally want the online purchasers to have the same experience as going to the store and getting it on the release day.

JoshFink

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It specifically says on the apple website that if you pre-order you get it shipped to you on the 26th. No need to upgrade the shipping.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just got off the phone from the closest premium reseller I could find.. Bought mine the 29th of September, but received it the 10th of October.. I'm not getting Leopard -_- Sigh
Weird, i bought and received mine almost exactly when you did, but I was just informed that I would get it for $10 ...

Probably won't even use it though, I don't want to be forced to upgrade an existing installation - I'd much rather do a clean install ... :(

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
i bought two, one in september 26th (shipped on october 9th)
the other is oct 4th and shipped oct 6th

both not here yet, i expect one tomorrow and the other by the end of the week.

i am definitely getting a legit copy of leopard.

is it only upgrade disks, or it will let u do a fresh install?

The upgrade discs are really the same as the retail. The only difference is it that it requires that you have a working copy of Mac OS X currently installed on your Mac. So for example if you bought a Mac from ebay with no OS installed the upgrade discs won't install.

Once the upgrade discs see OS X installed you will have access to disk utility and you can fully erase whichever version of OS X you have and do a clean install. Congrats! I ordered my upgrade CD's today as well.:D

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
iMac 2.8Ghz + OS X Leopard

IT WORKED FOR ME, GOT THE IMAC SHIPPED 3RD WEEK OF SEPT.
Entered serial number and Oct. X purchase date and it worked.
Paid $9.95 and got confirmation and it will ship by Oct. 26!

Tough luck to those who rushed and bought from Apple before Oct. 1.
Should have bought from a reseller at cheaper price, shipping was longer, oh well, patience pays off in the long run.

Got reseller discount and no tax, free wireless mouse + $125 off coupon from apple for shipping delays (6 weeks) and now $9.95 Leopard. This is sweet.:)

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007

Should have bought from a reseller at cheaper price, shipping was longer, oh well, patience pays off in the long run.

Got reseller discount and no tax, free wireless mouse + $125 off coupon from apple for shipping delays (6 weeks) and now $9.95 Leopard. This is sweet.:)

Sweet!:) But I am little bit lost. Your iMac was shipped on the 3rd week of Sept and you put in an October purchase date?

RafMac

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2007
Ontario
Sweet!:) But I am little bit lost. Your iMac was shipped on the 3rd week of Sept and you put in an October purchase date?

Apple does not see Customer Reseller invoices, since the product was sold by apple to reseller then the products are sold by reseller at whatever day it leaves the reseller store. Apple is not tracking it as they got their cash from reseller. It's resellers responsibility to sell thereafter to get their money. Apparently, it worked on previous os x updates. Up-to-date program validates serial number. My serial number went through OK.

If you bought from apple online or apple store directly before Oct. 1, then you're toast, it's in apple's database, as they sold to you directly not the reseller, unless you call apple and beg, then they may give it to you for $9.95 as it happened to some people.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006

Yup, I did the same, just entered Oct X for date, order all went through and was accepted :D

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
I bought my iMac on 7th August, but it just says 'serial unknown' if you put in a date in October and 'Please correct the fields marked in red' if you select any other date.

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
Apple does not see Customer Reseller invoices, since the product was sold by apple to reseller then the products are sold by reseller at whatever day it leaves the reseller store. Apple is not tracking it as they got their cash from reseller. It's resellers responsibility to sell thereafter to get their money. Apparently, it worked on previous os x updates. Up-to-date program validates serial number. My serial number went through OK.

If you bought from apple online or apple store directly before Oct. 1, then you're toast, it's in apple's database, as they sold to you directly not the reseller, unless you call apple and beg, then they may give it to you for $9.95 as it happened to some people.

I bought mine from the apple store online (in sept) but I entered the details saying it was from a reseller and it went through all the same. Guess I was really lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.