I broke my dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DPB17, Mar 11, 2009.

1. DPB17 macrumors 6502

Hi, I used a program to change the background of my stacks grid to a different colour and I can't get the dock back to it's defaults. If anyone knows a terminal cmd or a program that can change this I would be very grateful. Photo below

Attached Files:

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Deleting the preference file for the dock may help. I'm not exactly sure what the program modified. The preference file is located at ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist The ~ means your home directory. Before deleting the file just move it to the desktop (or somewhere). Now open Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities/). Look through the list for Dock. Select it and choose Quit Process button at the top left. The dock will restart itself.

If that fixes things, then just delete the file, otherwise you can restore it back. A new file will likely have been written back (because the preference files recreate themselves), but you can overwrite it. Then just quick dock like before so it resets.

3. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

4. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did everything correctly and it set everything back to defaults except for the grid background. Anymore ideas?

5. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Well what program did you use to perform the change? It's kinda hard to guess what to fix/revert if we don't know what was changed. :p

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

There's another file that the Dock uses to store settings. It's the dock database, or com.apple.dock.db where your preferences are. ATTENTION: Moving or deleting this file then restarting the dock will reset your dock icons to a default state.

7. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll try the database file but I can't for the life of me remember the program I used to change the dock.

8. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the .db file didn't work. Does anyone know what the most popular application for customizing the dock is?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

10. DPB17 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! That was the program, thanks a lot really appreciate it.:):):D